Title of the document

Lathe Cabinet

Kev

1 hour ago, Olie said:

Horizontal spaces sure get used up fast so how about adding a flip up top mounted to the sides of each cabinet for more space when pulled out for use? Could even attached a piece of plywood vertically to the side with slots to have height adjustability and they attached the flip up brackets to the height adjustable plywood to have more horizontal space that can be brought up to a more comfortable height. Hope I’m explaining that right. 

I used this on the laser cart and it works fine..  It's definitely an option for one or both of these carts..  I'll have a better understanding after having them in place for a few turnings to see how I want things arranged and organized..

I did manage to get a little bit done on these..

I got the walnut trim added to the cabinets yesterday but, forgot to post the progress..

Today, I got all the drawer material cut, the bottoms rabbeted, and the drawer bottoms cut..  I also got 1/2 of the drawers glued and pin nailed together.  I'll do the other half tomorrow and then add screws at the joints just for extra support..

image.thumb.jpeg.8bdf51b4c5c7a89686c20e3662ff8183.jpeg

13 minutes ago, Coop said:

Kev, last pic. Did the Bessey clamps come with “padded insert thingys”, black on one pair and red on the other? 

The ones with the black pads are the heavier duty K-Body clamps and the others are the shorter light duty parallels clamps..  Just a difference between the 2 models.

I do believe that you can order them in a couple colors though if you want.

Managed to get a bit done on these today..  Unfortunately, I'm dead in the water until the drawer glides arrive..

image.thumb.jpeg.b12ff4b315d6d3f2892862cb682d82a3.jpeg

I did manage to get all the screws installed in the drawers as well as a rough milling on all of the drawer front material plus one spare.  I did have to do one glue up for a drawer front but, it's shop furniture..  I think I'll survive.

Back to editing I guess...

• Like 2

Got the drawers installed and fronts on today as well as a quick coat of finish..

image.thumb.jpeg.8262eb19e316db26396a86db6a3e3234.jpeg

Wanted to test another hard wax oil on some shop furniture so, I gave this one a go..

image.thumb.jpeg.fd99e6344a46d257ec91bb1b0a6a91e3.jpeg

Supposedly the cheaper alternative to Rubio..

Initial Impressions:

• It's thick!  A tad looser than Vasoline.
  • A little goes a long way but, not as far as Rubio
  • Definitely cheaper than Rubio (As of when I bought it)
  • Covered nicely with good grain pop..

Looking forward to letting it sit and cure to see what it feels like compared to Rubio.

I now shop furniture with 5 different hard wax oils on them so that I can see how they hold up over time..  Rubio, Osmo, GF Hard wax Oil, Fiddes, and Natura.

• Like 1

Got an early start this morning to get a few things done before we host tonight's activities..

Follow up on the Natura:  For the most part is was cured to the touch..  There were still a few small spots that I could tell were not fully cured yet.  So, to add to the comparison list, it doesn't cure quite as quickly as Rubio..

Anyway, here they are pushed under the lathe..  Still lots of organization and adding tops to do but, this is a good place to stop until I can get back to the HW dealer for some top material..

image.thumb.jpeg.8cd2117c19548af16011eb0a00ca2265.jpeg

• Like 3

I Googled Natura to see how it is applied. I see that it is a two part, similar to Rubio, I think? The reason I said I think, I went back and visited your thread about Fiddes vs Rubio, 2-25-23. In the video you said that Rubio comes in two parts, although you don’t need the hardner. Why not the hardner? 
Second question. With the Natura, using the hardner, once mixed, do you just toss any remaining, and if you come up short, do you mix a new batch and toss what’s left of that? 
Personally, I can’t see me going to a two part finish due to the wastefulness and the fact that there are too many comparable (subjective) finishes out there. 
Please enlighten me if I’m incorrect. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Coop said:

I Googled Natura to see how it is applied. I see that it is a two part, similar to Rubio, I think? The reason I said I think, I went back and visited your thread about Fiddes vs Rubio, 2-25-23. In the video you said that Rubio comes in two parts, although you don’t need the hardner. Why not the hardner? 
Second question. With the Natura, using the hardner, once mixed, do you just toss any remaining, and if you come up short, do you mix a new batch and toss what’s left of that? 
Personally, I can’t see me going to a two part finish due to the wastefulness and the fact that there are too many comparable (subjective) finishes out there. 
Please enlighten me if I’m incorrect. 

All the hard wax oils come in 2 parts but, the hardener isn't really required.  Just takes longer to cure.

Yes, extra gets tossed..  I mix small amounts and mix more as I need it.  It's a quick mix.

Once you try the hard wax oils, you'll have a hard time going back to another..

• Like 1

Well, the lathe cabinets are done until I get to run some projects and see what needs to change...

Somewhere in the previous pages here, someone suggested the flip up shelf like I did on the laser cart.  Unfortunately, as I type this, I can't go back and see but, it was the perfect solution! I ended up with a few inches between the carts so the flip up shelf worked perfectly!

image.thumb.jpeg.ed785c6d351124e6d8547b5be027458b.jpeg

More horizontal surface with some room for growth as well!

I also did a little drawer organization for the only drawer (out of 8.) that I knew what I wanted in there.

image.thumb.jpeg.88c2a20abb98a4ae610cd8e3c64498b5.jpeg

The drawer directly below this one is exactly the same size so, if I add more chucks, I have the room for the growth..

And this is how I envisioned them being placed during use at the lathe..

image.thumb.jpeg.8d0c461604bc900ea150213cb2987196.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, pkinneb said:

Great looking lathe space Kev!!

Thanks..  Now I just have to get through some turning projects and refine my work flow and drawer organization!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Great instructional video Kev. Glad you got to use some of that “scrap” walnut! 😁

As discussed before and it’s prob on my end but the voice over is much louder and clearer than the live audio but certainly audible.

• Like 2