Title of the document

3D Board

Kev

I wasn't going to post this until it was done because I have no confidence that it will turn out decent 🤣

However, there's 23 glue ups in this simple 3D board and I just couldn't do them all in a day..

Here's the initial core glued up as well as half the layers..

image.thumb.jpeg.d2eb634e24e54bc57f12a45a31a898ef.jpeg

From there, there were several glue ups that looked like this..

image.thumb.jpeg.f1a8ef81ff54042435b77e9f53b0e8fd.jpeg

and of course the other half of the layers...

image.thumb.jpeg.0a86b8a76ce2bfc85354aef7669751a4.jpeg

Long story short, I got 18 of the 23 glue ups done today and will finish it up tomorrow.

Although I know what the thickness of each layer is supposed to be, I'm not using calipers to dial in each layer and I rounded up each layer to a good round number and checked with a simple scale.  So, we shall see.

I will say that it's a hell of a lot of work for something that will probably never be used.  If I ever toss out here that I'm going to do another one, someone please remind me of this thread so I can get a dose of reality and do something else.. 🤣

I'll post results tomorrow regardless of the outcome..  I don't have high hopes..

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Coop said:

Will wait anxiously to see what a 3D board is. And never fail to post on an outcome you are unsure of as we can all learn from your mistakes as we do from our own! That’s a lot of time waiting for glue to dry! 😁

I actually only gave each glue up about 40 minutes before moving on..  I've got 2 more layers of maple to add to each board along with plaining them down in between.  The maple layers are only 1/8" thick and the other layers are 3/16" thick.  From there, there's some angled cuts, flipping them to end grain, glue up, and pray..lol

• Haha 1

Well I started off today putting on the last 2 layers..

image.thumb.jpeg.8a31729e9ec2938846d51826a9309098.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.b29854e56df5b544b2c5dd0a1f6c39b4.jpeg

Once I get this glue up out of clamps, I'll be able to straighten up one edge and start ripping the angled cuts.  So far, I'm at 22 separate glue ups and I'm starting to feel some blisters on both hands!  Really glad that there's only one more glue up to go!

Since I'm waiting for glue to dry.....again.....  Thought I'd catch up this thread..  To be completely honest, I feel like I've screwed this one up but, I won't know for a bit yet..

Got everything brought down to the final thickness, here's what the layers look like..

image.thumb.jpeg.df34b25e6ea1ffbfc06cb7f351ae87c2.jpeg

From there, it was time to cut the 30 degree angles on the edges of each board..

image.thumb.jpeg.d24666a174394aadcb64a08a1c46eb40.jpeg

Then I reset the fence to 15/16" and cut the rest..  Trying to convert from metric so, this was pretty close..

image.thumb.jpeg.6260bbc87cce4dbe60be3b336a985028.jpeg

Then, I tilted the blade back to 90 and nipped off the corners - Although it looks right, my gut is telling me that this is the step I messed up..

image.thumb.jpeg.57932be0ec299906ac4cf004dbeae23f.jpeg

Then I aligned them all up to what the pattern is supposed to look like.

image.thumb.jpeg.f2d37e6ff6680dc7d97bba813b7e8a77.jpeg

I did this glue up in 2 because the piece was so long and I had a couple of gaps I was trying to control.

image.thumb.jpeg.483f75c3d88d8be26850c80db9cec6f1.jpeg

So, that's it for now..  I'll glue those 2 halves together after this set dries.  Then, it's off to the end grain portion to see if my gut was right or if I got lucky..

• Like 1

I'm still undetermined if I'm going to toss some sides on it so, no edge profiles or finish yet..  Just water on it to mimic finish for this picture...

Not perfect by any means but, not too bad either...

image.thumb.jpeg.87621a945b8537d151049506081d5ba6.jpeg

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Coop said:

That came out really nice! Did you have a cut pattern to go by? 

I saw it on a YT video and just went for it..lol. I can draw up a pattern or just link the video if you'd like?

6 minutes ago, Woodenskye (Bryan) said:

Looks really cool.  I would do a medium sized chamfer and finish it up!

I'm seriously considering your thought as I just want to be done with this one!  Although, I'm also considering an end grain border around it as well...

I made one a couple of years ago, no where near this intricate and the source mentioned an app for different designs but I never did follow up. Yeah, a link to the video would be appreciated. Bryan’s suggestion or a border either one would be neat. I’m betting this never sees contact with a knife blade! 

12 minutes ago, Coop said:

I made one a couple of years ago, no where near this intricate and the source mentioned an app for different designs but I never did follow up. Yeah, a link to the video would be appreciated. Bryan’s suggestion or a border either one would be neat. I’m betting this never sees contact with a knife blade! 

Yea, I'm betting it never sees a knife either which is why I don't like making them.  Regardless of how it looks, it's still end grain and will hold up to years of use!

I'll make a decision on the edge treatments soon..

In the meantime, here's the link to the video that I followed..

• Like 2

Thought hard over the night about applying a border to this one..  I knew that if I were going to border the entire board, it would have to be end grain or I'd most likely have wood movement issues.

I looked at all the scrap in the shop and definitely had enough to make just about any end grain boarder I wanted but, it would be a lot of work.

Or, I have a really nice (and large) piece of figured maple (from @Spanky) where I could get end grain with just one cut.  So, that's what I'm doing..  

Here's the first glue up getting just the 2 ends.  I clamped the other side board in place to help with alignment so that I don't have to trim too much off of the board itself. Yes, that maple board is that wide..

image.thumb.jpeg.0cabc41afe3929a9fd7fbf0e9c485c24.jpeg

And, here's the other sides added..  

image.thumb.jpeg.5ca009cb6b1533f2c4ef7ebf7a82890a.jpeg

Just gotta let the glue dry, clean it up, add a chamfer, and apply finish..

2 minutes ago, Coop said:

Yep, that looks sharp. I watched the video but don’t remember if it said. How wide is the cutting board? 

This one is 13" x 14" but, there's really no limit to how big you can make them.  From memory, I think I started with about 16" pieces so, would just need to boost that up if you want a larger board.  

Just now, Coop said:

I have a 10/4 x 12” x 10’ piece of qtr sawn sycamore and two 6/4 x 10”  x 10’ pieces of ambrosia maple from him, waiting to become something. 

The maple I got was earmarked for the cradle...  There was a little left over... 🤣

13 minutes ago, Coop said:

I went to see him when I went to Tennessee last month to visit Richard and he’s not sawing anymore. He sourced all of his logs from his in-laws mill and they sold it. He’s raising bees now as a non paying hobby. 

As long as he's enjoying himself!