Title of the document

Cleaning out the Scrap Bin

Kev

What do you save?  What do you toss?  Is there a method to your madness?  We all store these offcuts and scraps with the best intentions of using them in the future!  Well, mine was getting out of hand again and I found myself storing stuff on the floor near the scrap bin.  This picture was taken from one of the more recent videos that I did since getting home and it got a little worse after this.

image.jpeg.35908d822307b1e5470172ae06fa759b.jpeg

My scrap bin was simply maxed out and couldn't handle any more projects.  Normally, this is when I churn out a few cutting boards or some table lazy Susans or some other small projects.  But, with me heading out of town for a grand baby and work, there just wasn't time.  I certainly could have just fired up the burn pit and gotten rid of all of it.

Last year, I reached out to a local turning group and a couple of the members there were happy/excited to come pick through my scrap bin.  They were certainly excited to see what ended up in my scrap bin and took a good share of it the first time.  So, I reached out to them again and they wasted no time coming over to "help me out" once again.

Here's the results.

image.thumb.jpeg.8cb3e07b346db21ff6718448ba9c83f7.jpeg

Probably took a little more than I expected but, I'm expecting a lot of projects as soon as I get home so needed the space.  Plus, I'm looking forward to seeing the projects they did from my scrap bin.

Additionally, they were so excited the last time they got access to my bin that they made me this as a thank you!  Pretty excited about this cool pen!

image.thumb.jpeg.d44697fb61cd44989a2a9d04a1cf9c7b.jpeg

They also showed me a bowl that was turned from some of the African Mahogany left overs from the master bedroom that was absolutely awesome!  I wish I would have gotten a picture of it!

So, if you're looking for a great way to thin out your scrap bin, I highly suggest reaching out to local turning clubs.  It's a great way to pay it forward and sometimes get a little something in return!

Thanks Richard for the awesome pen!  You do absolutely amazing work!  I hope you're reading this!

• Like 4

Great idea on hitting the turners up! 

I always hold on to scrap way to long.  What has helped me out is my wife bought a little fire pit.  She likes to sit beside a fire when its warm out only. But either way it helps clean out the shop.

That is a neat gift!  I have made a few pens years ago, had a mini lathe and a shop vac for a dust collector.  Not sure how the neighbors liked hearing them run in my apartment.  

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Jamie said:

Great idea on hitting the turners up! 

I always hold on to scrap way to long.  What has helped me out is my wife bought a little fire pit.  She likes to sit beside a fire when its warm out only. But either way it helps clean out the shop.

That is a neat gift!  I have made a few pens years ago, had a mini lathe and a shop vac for a dust collector.  Not sure how the neighbors liked hearing them run in my apartment.  

The gift wasn't expected but, was sure cool of them to do it!

• Like 1

Man, they did score a hay day with you. I’ve kinda set a limit on minimum length of 24” and then, it has to be some neat stuff. But that’s my problem. Will this project qualify for that “neat wood”? Nah, I’ll save it for a more important build. And the stack grows! 

3 hours ago, Kev said:

What do you save?  What do you toss?  Is there a method to your madness?  

Well crap, I looked your picture and said to myself, i'm not that bad.  Then I went and looked.  Turns out I might be a hoarder.  I have scrap stored every where!  First is the main stash  the plastic bag has plane shavings

DSC_0084.JPG.f0c401adfb160186aaadd37f8499bf6d.JPG

Then there is the thin strips that I "know" I will need someday.

DSC_0085.JPG.4e687d35d71ee89f1d0e0dbb6905544c.JPG

Then there is the junk wood that "might" come in handy.

DSC_0086.JPG.d4a08b01ee72fb02af14bfa51ea52b3c.JPG

and the smalls ready to turn

DSC_0087.JPG.e2b105c743d3abf5b56d88abc2b8b82c.JPG

I know I should get rid of some of this, but with the price of wood, I will live vicariously through your shop!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2