Title of the document

Files/rasps

Bushwacked

24 minutes ago, Bushwacked said:

I feel I need a couple of these. I have no idea though where to start. Been several times in the past few projects they would of been useful … 

thoughts on what to start with or brands etc etc 

They're more pricey but, I have/like the Auirou Rasps.  I only have 4 or them but, they're all I've needed on any of my projects..  I'd suggest the 1/2 rounds and ensure that you have a modeler's rasp in the collection.

In reality, you could probably get away with 2..  The Modelers and one more aggressive. 

https://www.highlandwoodworking.com/auriou-rasps.aspx

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Kev said:

They're more pricey but, I have/like the Auirou Rasps.  I only have 4 or them but, they're all I've needed on any of my projects..  I'd suggest the 1/2 rounds and ensure that you have a modeler's rasp in the collection.

In reality, you could probably get away with 2..  The Modelers and one more aggressive. 

https://www.highlandwoodworking.com/auriou-rasps.aspx

Thanks! 

Curious on the modelers rasp ... do you have a recommendation on "grain"? I was thinking 7" since it is not the finest and might be a little quick to use. For the more aggressive would you go Auriou 12 inch Half Round Roughing Rasp - The Hog or one of the cabinet rasps with like 5-8 grain on it?

6 hours ago, Bushwacked said:

Thanks! 

Curious on the modelers rasp ... do you have a recommendation on "grain"? I was thinking 7" since it is not the finest and might be a little quick to use. For the more aggressive would you go Auriou 12 inch Half Round Roughing Rasp - The Hog or one of the cabinet rasps with like 5-8 grain on it?

For the rougher ones, I'd suggest an 8 grain and a 12 grain.  For the modeler's rasp I bought the 13 grain.  These were the recommendations to build the sculpted rocker and I've just found them very useful ever since.

• Like 1

I'm with Kev on Auirou rasps and would start with the two he recommends as well as add Shinto rasp. Having said that I started using rasps on my sculpted bar stools. I added a Shinto and then two Auirou's like many tools as you use them you think ya know this shape or that grain would be better suited for this and now a few years later I think I have 8 plus like 6 riflers LOL 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, pkinneb said:

I'm with Kev on Auirou rasps and would start with the two he recommends as well as add Shinto rasp. Having said that I started using rasps on my sculpted bar stools. I added a Shinto and then two Auirou's like many tools as you use them you think ya know this shape or that grain would be better suited for this and now a few years later I think I have 8 plus like 6 riflers LOL 

are you referring to this one?

https://www.amazon.com/Japanese-SHINTO-Planer-250mm-Steel/dp/B06Y66YYCQ/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=shinto+rasp&qid=1629162352&s=hi&sr=1-3