Title of the document

Drawer Slides

Coop

Is there a reason to use undermount as opposed to side mount drawer slides. The only two that I can think of that they are not seen and give you 1/2” wider drawers. I have never used undermount but the dresser of our new bd suite have the self close and the are pretty cool. Also a concern as a first time user is the ease or lack there of, of mounting them. These will go on an armoire that my wife wants me to build her. 

Edited by Coop

There's a few things..

Yes, you lose the width with the side mounts but, you lose some at the bottom with the under mount.

For me, the most important improvement is the adjustability of the slides.  Just turning a couple knobs and dial your drawer fronts in perfectly.  While this is nice during construction, it really nice when seasonal movement starts binding the drawers and you can just adjust them.

• Like 1

Just now, Coop said:

Is the install fairly easy? Is there a jig required?

Once you've installed them once, they're not that mysterious!  

There's jigs but, I've pretty much quit using them.  There's a couple little tricks to avoid needing them.  Let me know when you do your first set and I'll help you out, it's not difficult.

• Like 1

In addition to Kev's comments I think they look cleaner since you don't see them especially if you have a nice joint eg dovetails or box joint. The first time I used them it took a bit but as Kev stated once you've done it they are pretty easy and soft close is definitely nice. 

• Like 1

We currently have an older armoire in one of the other bedrooms that is 42” wide and has a single drawer at the bottom with wooden runners and it slides like you would think a 80 yo or so drawer would. The new one will be about the same. Is that too wide for the under mounts? 

24 minutes ago, Coop said:

We currently have an older armoire in one of the other bedrooms that is 42” wide and has a single drawer at the bottom with wooden runners and it slides like you would think a 80 yo or so drawer would. The new one will be about the same. Is that too wide for the under mounts? 

You should be fine.

Couple things to remember though..

• Your drawer stock has to be milled to 1/2" to 5/8".  
  • You have to have 1/2" below the drawer bottom for the hardware.
  • Like 1