Door Glass

In light of our recent discussion on glass in the flag frame project journal I was wondering if any of you new where you could buy glass for an exterior house door? I want to build a front door similar to this style and wondering where or if one can just buy the double pain glass?

hazelnut-jeld-wen-fiberglass-doors-with-glass-dfc-866fg6-haz-lh-66_145.jpg

7 minutes ago, pkinneb said:

In light of our recent discussion on glass in the flag frame project journal I was wondering if any of you new where you could buy glass for an exterior house door? I want to build a front door similar to this style and wondering where or if one can just buy the double pain glass?

hazelnut-jeld-wen-fiberglass-doors-with-glass-dfc-866fg6-haz-lh-66_145.jpg

Pretty sure these are going to be insulated and double pane.  Looking at your picture, my first question would be are the grids a decorative element on a solid piece of glass or integral to the door?

If it's just a "larger" single piece, just about any glass shop should be able to do that for you.  You'll have much better luck sourcing that glass than I did with the frame.  Plus, the low E glass is pretty standard so, that's easy.

If they're individual panes, a glass shop may be able to do them for you but, a custom door shop would definitely know where to source that glass for you.  They may even have a stock of it.

I'm certainly no expert but, I hope that helps! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’m wondering, with a glass that small, would it be worth the cost and trouble to use double pane instead of tempered or double strength, single pane? 
Don’t you need to pull a vacuum or insert something like argon between the panes on a double pane for an outside door to prevent condensate? 

• Like 1

Thanks guys! the grids will not be between the glass I will make the as part of the door for simplicity sake. Since i live in MN double pane with something between would be standard. ill have to look up and call a couple places.

• Like 2