Title of the document

Router Edge Guides

Coop

8 hours ago, Coop said:

To make a mortise using a router, are single or double edge guides preferred? And what type of bit? These will be used on the ends and edges of boards as in rails and stiles. 

As with all things in woodworking, there's multiple ways to do the job.

My preference is:

1. Edge Guide - I prefer a double whenever possible.  It reduces mistakes and accidents.  If you go with a single, just pay closer attention to what you're doing.
  2. Bits - I prefer up-cut spiral bits.  They're a little more expensive but, worth the money IMO.  I prefer to sink each end of the mortise to full depth first and then hog out the middle in smaller passes.  This makes for the ends being a little cleaner when It's done.
  3. Tenons - I'm tossing this one in here even though you didn't ask - Square the mortise corners or round the tenon corners?  No wrong answer here, it's personal preference.  I prefer to round the tenon than square the mortise.
  • Like 2

I have a single which I use to make grooves and dadoes but with the narrow edge of the rails and stiles, I can see where the double would be advantageous. I have searched and only find the one I have. Is the double sided one that I need to make a jig for? 

My plunge router is a Bosch if that matters. 

56 minutes ago, Coop said:

I have a single which I use to make grooves and dadoes but with the narrow edge of the rails and stiles, I can see where the double would be advantageous. I have searched and only find the one I have. Is the double sided one that I need to make a jig for? 

Nope..  Just buy a second one.  The rods are long enough to fit them both on.  Boom, you have the double.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Coop said:

On narrow pieces you could also use your router table, I have used straight cutting bits and they work, not nearly as nice as the spiral bits. The straight bits do tend to smoke a little ?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Jamie said:

On narrow pieces you could also use your router table, I have used straight cutting bits and they work, not nearly as nice as the spiral bits. The straight bits do tend to smoke a little ?

Thanks Jamie but this will be an interior door that is 80” long and each stile weighs about 18 lbs. each. Way above my pay grade! ?

Just now, Coop said:

Thanks Jamie but this will be an interior door that is 80” long and each stile weighs about 18 lbs. each. Way above my pay grade! ?

Yeah that would rule out the router table. On the table build I used a Freud 1/2 straight bit and a Bosch plunge with a single sided guide. Kev is right that the bars are long enough for a double side. Bet a piece of scrap with some well positioned holes and a threaded hole for a thumb screw would work as well if you don’t want to pay for the second fence. 

• Like 1

I just ordered a 1/2” spiral, up cut Whiteside bit with a 2” cutting edge. I’ll give some scrap a try when it gets here. I can probably get an extra 1/4” depth out of it. If not, hopefully a 4” long tenon, 1/2” thick will work? 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Coop said:

I just ordered a 1/2” spiral, up cut Whiteside bit with a 2” cutting edge. I’ll give some scrap a try when it gets here. I can probably get an extra 1/4” depth out of it. If not, hopefully a 4” long tenon, 1/2” thick will work? 

Should do fine..

• Like 1

I was planning on using walnut as floating tenons and putting small grooves/flutes in them. But, I remember seeing where biscuits and I suspect the Domino tenons are made from beech as they swell when glue is applied. Am I over thinking this? 

Also thinking of putting a couple of walnut dowels thru the tenons on the four corners? 

On 7/25/2020 at 8:34 PM, Coop said:

I was planning on using walnut as floating tenons and putting small grooves/flutes in them. But, I remember seeing where biscuits and I suspect the Domino tenons are made from beech as they swell when glue is applied. Am I over thinking this? 

Also thinking of putting a couple of walnut dowels thru the tenons on the four corners? 

I think any material for the tenons will work just fine. As long as they are a good fit. 
The dowels would be a nice visual!!