Handtool Cabinet

Just now, Coop said:

That “nasty stuff” sure has some nice grain. I wish I had access to some. What is the bf cost difference in that and the good stuff? 

I get "rustic" for about $8.50 per BF.  It usually has some cool grains and colors but, requires a bit of work as well..

• Like 1

Put in some work on this project today..  Started by laying out for the dovetails..

image.thumb.jpeg.50dbb4fa049a4288c90f43c0a245d6cf.jpeg

I did these cuts at the bandsaw and them chopped out the waste..

image.thumb.jpeg.5fb2aca6c7c5dc5b2c21788f046bdbe1.jpeg

This is where I realized my blunder!  I put the tails and pins on the wrong boards..  So, technically, these are all wrong and I should start over.  However, after 2 days of epoxy, the fact that it's shop furniture, the real strength will be the 1/2" BB back panel, and I'm out of walnut, I decided to just go with it..  Only a woodworker will ever spot the mistake and it might drive me again to remake this cabinet in the future..  Who knows...

So, the pin boards are completely had cut and it's been a really long time since I've done it..  No warm up or practice but, I did to the side you'll never see first.. 🤣

First one showed just how rusty I was..  Definitely some gaps!

image.thumb.jpeg.9a8a19bc8cb7508b93bd385262ab24e4.jpeg

The second one is a little better and a little faster..

image.thumb.jpeg.ddc504288b35929c981a9aa4a8ccf4a6.jpeg

Ans that's going to be a wrap for me today..  I'll do the last 2 corners tomorrow and maybe start some of the inside stuff..

• Like 1

I’ve done that before and figure that it’s just as strong as a box joint and never looked back. And for those of us that don’t do dt’s often, it would take a keen eye to even notice it. And with you calling this to attention, your mistake will be a lesson to some. On with the show! 😀

• Like 1

Good day in the shop!  Finished the last 2 dovetails..  Forgot to get a picture of the first one but, here's the last one..  They're getting better but, certainly not perfect!

image.thumb.jpeg.1271bc8ef89e50ac57c186e1256c630c.jpeg

Nearly all the rest of my day was at the router table..  All the internals will be in sliding dovetails and I had to get a few of them cut into the case walls before I could glue up the case..

image.thumb.jpeg.d96ee3edf652081fb0ceee73ae8b2243.jpeg

The new Jessem miter gauge won't work for this set up because it rides on the fence so, the Incra is back on the table to make these sliding dovetails.

Also, I didn't get a picture of it but, I also had to make the stopped rabbets for the back panel..  If I remember later, I'll grab a picture from the video footage to post.  They had to be stopped or they would have shown through the dovetails.   I'll need to square up the corners later before fitting the back.

With all that done, I could go ahead and glue up the case.

image.thumb.jpeg.3f27532430ecd4055d719c64b728f839.jpeg

Was just a little out of square and had to be pulled in but, it wasn't bad.

I also reset the router table and ran some samples to make the one long shelf inside the cabinet.  Because I had to completely re-set up for this, the DRO really paid off by allowing me to get right back to the correct height for the bit.  Then, the micro adjusts on the new fence made it super easy to dial in the final fit!

Not sure if I'll get back out there tonight or not..  Still a lot of sliding dovetails to cut for the internals!  I also have to take a look at the plane till and decide if I'm going to cut a dado in that shelf for the toe of each plane to sit in..  We'll see as I get a little further along..

One more design thought that I'd like some input on..

I'm thinking of using black milk paint for the inside of the back panel..  Thoughts?

• Like 2

Will the toes of the planes not tilt out so that the planes will rest at a slight angle?

I think that the black back would look good but question the durability of the heals rubbing it, taking the planes in and out.

Just now, Coop said:

Will the toes of the planes not tilt out so that the planes will rest at a slight angle?

Yes..  Either a wider shallow dado or even an angled dado would be needed but, would still prevent the planes from slipping out.

Just now, Coop said:

I think that the black back would look good but question the durability of the heals rubbing it, taking the planes in and out.

I had the same thought..  I would probably follow the milk paint with a few coats of satin lacquer to help with that.

• Thanks 1

Another thought. Will a magnetic strip(s) at heal heights against the back prevent any left to right movements when taking adjacent planes out. Maybe over thinking this as I don’t have a similiar setup?

Just now, Coop said:

Another thought. Will a magnetic strip(s) at heal heights against the back prevent any left to right movements when taking adjacent planes out. Maybe over thinking this as I don’t have a similiar setup?

There will be magnets as well as raised strips to prevent side to side movement..  Also, it doesn't show in the drawing but, there will be a slight angle to the plane till.

image.thumb.png.2561d273cd9a421e0024ef1c9b1e59ed.png

Sorry for the confusing measurements on this drawing..  They're referencing centerlines for me in the shop to cut the sliding dovetails.

Got all the internals installed and the back held on with just a few screws..

image.thumb.jpeg.cf153b07a4ddfed8b71bb78680c0df40.jpeg

I marked the location for the plane till on the back panel because I just don't think I'm going to get any tilt to it.  So, for now, I'll remove the back and start installing the walnut strips around the planes and drilling the mortises for the magnets.  I ordered stronger magnets because I'm not going to get the tilt I was hoping for.

While the back is off, I'll do some final sanding and finishing on the carcass.

• Like 1

Just now, Coop said:

Looking good sir! Sorry, I just realized that magnets were discussed earlier in this thread. 

No worries, sometimes these threads get long as I try and give as much detail as possible.

Taking most of tomorrow off and playing golf..  Might get back to installing some of the divider strips when I get home..

22 hours ago, Coop said:

Long and straight and a cold one afterwards! 

Shot 83 on the course today so, not a bad day..

Also managed to get most of the plane till trim installed..

image.thumb.jpeg.e5b84a8378689377590ee4b4e29ba5f4.jpeg

• Like 3

Super busy day!

After I got home from delivering and setting up the conference table, I got back to work on this project..

Got a coat of General Finishes Hard Wax Oil applied and the back reinstalled.

image.thumb.jpeg.c7de4ee3990657179c6f12eb82c336e0.jpeg

From there, I started working on the tool holders and final layout..  Some holders are reused from the previous cabinet and some are new..

image.thumb.jpeg.bf791598b8db6b77354dc8bd765187f1.jpeg

Some of these holders took me a bit of time to make!  The holder for the #80 cabinet scraper since it's sculpted to fit the scraper and fit niicely in case, he mini router plane is  routed out in the back and sculpted to hold the plane, and the draw knife holder is completely fit to the draw knife.  Not set on the kerf tool and small hammer yet but, holders will have to be made for those as well.  I'll also need to replace the screws with Brass screws since they will be a decorative feature inside the case.

I didn't get a picture but, I also started the brass screws in the plane divider strips..

• Like 1

Well, I finished making all the holders that I knew needed to be made and got all the brass screws in..  I didn't really film making those since it's so particular to the individual tool.

image.thumb.jpeg.4689070bfb0e1e5e0717714d7f34ab0f.jpeg

After that, I made new doors..  Afraid I had a complete brain fart making these and go y measurements way off!  I'm going to let them cur up tonight and see if I can save them tomorrow.  If I can't, I'll just use the doors from the old cabinet since I'm running out of time.  Each door is about 1 1/2" too wide..  I missed accounting for the stiles.  I'll try to trim where the doors meet so it looks like one stile and see how it looks..  Leaning towards remaking these later.

image.thumb.jpeg.495deb64fa1b569b4c97419de2816b94.jpeg

On a positive note, all me magnets showed up a day early so, I got them epoxied in so they can set for the night..  Should be able to mount this on the wall tomorrow night when my wife gets home from work.

• Like 1

Just now, Coop said:

Looks pretty darn sweet. Even got a little grain going on some of the holders! Apparently the back is not 1/4” ply if you’re screwing to it? 

The back is 1/2" ply since there will be quite a bit of weight in this cabinet..

All of the tool holders are out of scrap walnut from the scrap bin..

Just now, Coop said:

You mentioned that you were running out of time. You leaving for another assignment soon? 

Yea, flying for Chicago on Saturday but, don't expect to be gone more than a week or 2...

• Thanks 1

Super busy day in the shop!

I started by rebuilding the doors..  Once the glue was dried, I got them fitted to the cabinet..

image.thumb.jpeg.6de429a531dbafb8e9739af8b28268c0.jpeg

I spent a fair amount of time sanding and finishing the doors while I was waiting for my wife to get home to help me hang the case..

image.thumb.jpeg.5627e852cfc4607fdcb591ce9c3094dc.jpeg

Then of course I hung the doors back on and loaded the tools in..

image.thumb.jpeg.486f556d802fbd877a49e6106e7da515.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.b5cb41a8a7254e279947ed1ff331bd3e.jpeg

I also milled the stock for the 3 drawers today.  Not sure that I'll get those done before I leave but, I'll give it a try..  My focus the next 2 days is editing video and packing for my trip..

• Like 2

Just now, Coop said:

That looks damn good! I see you placed 3 magnets behind most of the planes, regardless of their length. Any problem there?

No..  Just wanted to be sure..  This cabinet is on the same wall as the primary entrance to the shop so, that wall could rattle a bit if the door is slammed.  Just a belt and suspenders approach.

• Thanks 1