Title of the document

More Cutting Boards

Kev

As I'm contemplating the next project/video, I needed to do something with the accumulation of shop scrap that's been piling up!  

I had quite a bit of offcut 8/4 cherry and maple from some previous projects that were just about the right length for some cutting boards.  I needed another cutting board like I needed a hole in my head but, Christmas will be on us before you know it so, figured I'd add to the stock pile and get some of that scrap out of the shop..

Both end grain with Walnut stripes.  One in Cherry and one in Maple.  I'll probably finish them up tomorrow..

image.thumb.jpeg.bb0263d3989707b201c7b60c0568c514.jpeg

• Like 1

Well, the boards are essentially done except for finish..  However, I wanted to try something a little new on this project..

Quite some time ago, I picked up some templates from "Slab Stitcher" to inlay some unique designs in things like these cutting boards.  Since these were scrap boards anyway, I went ahead and gave them a try.

The Slab Stitcher system is pretty cool!  It has a base that all the individual templates pop into. This gives you a bigger base for the router.

image.thumb.jpeg.332f728c7cc28636accc12947e3ce6b0.jpeg

In this case, I chose the outline of Montana to put in this cutting board.

Full disclosure, I didn't have quite the router set up for what came with the kit.  It's designed for 1/4" and only my trim router are set up for 1/4" and the guide bushing won't fit in my trim routers.  I'll fix this in the future.

So, I had a bit listed as the same size in 1/2" shank and went with that.

The outcome was less that a glove fit.  Although it doesn't really matter on this project, the fit would be unacceptable on something that really mattered.  It's completely possible that this was caused by me not using the supplied bit for the routing process.  I'll know more about this when I get the appropriate base for my trim router.

To compensate for the gaps, I used blackened epoxy to secure the inlay and fill some of the gaps..  We'll see how I did when the epoxy cures..

image.thumb.jpeg.7d3408c2a8cb62f30cfc59201668d548.jpeg

I'll sand it all down in the morning and get some finish on these..

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Coop said:

It would be neat if they sold a template to make your own inlays but their pricing isn’t bad and three are included with the initial order. 

Although I bought a few for testing, filling with epoxy would also work well..

9 hours ago, Coop said:

Back to the cutting boards. Did you do a video on these end grain boards? 

No, I've done cutting boards before so, didn't see the need to video.

I had a bit of a "You DUMB@$$" moment when I walked out to the shop today and realized that I did have what I needed to use the bit and guide bushing that came with the slab stitcher kit.  It was actually sitting right in front of me the whole time.  It wasn't even sitting in the back of a cabinet someplace where I could claim ignorance...🤣

Anyway, as I said last night, I wasn't too happy with my inlay but, that was my fault..  I purposely made the inlay cut shallow as I knew I would need to sand the epoxy back - Hoping for enough to remove all of the dye but, there were still a few spots.  It really soaked deep in the cherry inlays supplied by Slab Stitcher.

image.thumb.jpeg.544d2ca04301f38cfdfbd9b0e222e9c8.jpeg

This one had a couple glue spots that I missed and some sanding swirl marks that I missed.  This one will most likely get resanded before going into my wife's quilting room with all the other extra stuff I've built..

image.thumb.jpeg.07bf47949883f748485d704ebb0c5d5f.jpeg

Anyway, good use of some scrap as well as a learning experience on the inlay kit..

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Woodenskye (Bryan) said:

I like the inlay with the border.  You could use your new laser and make up a bunch of your logo and in lay that into projects, or the initials of the person your giving to as a gift.

Yea...  I could use the laser to pretty much do what I did here plus add detail..  Just wanted to test drive the slab stitcher stuff on some rather meaningless projects..