Title of the document

Laser Engravers

Kev

Curious who has one and your thoughts?

I've been approached by a company to do a review for one of their machines.  As usual, if I can't provide honest reviews, I'm not interested in doing the review.  The price point of this particular machine is low enough that I could easily do it without them sending me a machine.  I know just about nothing about laser engravers so, looking to the hive mind to provide me with some real world education!

I'm purposely not mentioning the particular manufacturer as I don't want to skew my thoughts and opinions.  Just looking for some basic information to provide the best review possible.  My limited research has shown me that there is a lot to learn!  Power requirements, size, air assist, etc..  I'm a noob on this subject!

There may be some affiliate links and cost savings for you guys depending on how all this works out but, I need an education first.

At one time I looked into buying a laser engraver for my business.  Long story short, I decided to purchase a different format for my work that was less expensive and way more profitable for me.

The guy in Drew's link above gives a lot of good information but I will share a couple of things from my research that I had done at the time.  I have not seen a diode laser live but what I have seen from videos is that their engraved image doesn't seen to be as crisp as the CO2 lasers.  The CO2 machines have a series of mirrors and lens that create a very crisp beam if light kind of like that way a telescope works.  If you don't think you will ever do anything with nice detail then this probably won't be of concern.  The CO2's are going to be more costly but as far as the quality of work this is going to be one of those times where you get what you pay for.  The companies I looked at also sold jigs that made life easier for some jobs.  One was a rotary attachment for cylindrical items like a baseball bat or a wine glass or wine bottle.  that other was a grid jig for doing multiples of the same item like wooden challenge coins with your Kev's Woodworks logo on them.

The other thing that he mentions but just kind of skimmed over is ventilation.  This is WAY more important than he would lead you to believe.  Opening his garage door and turning on a fan isn't the solution.  That like saying you turn on a fan and open a door when milling or sanding but actually worse because not are you only creating particles to inhale but now the oils and resins have been super heated and then thrown into the air for you to breathe.  I wouldn't consider anything that didn't have an enclosed cabinet and ventilation system and the ventilation should be discharged to the out side not just blown to the another side of the shop.  So when looking at prices you have to allow for other equipment too.

• Like 3

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus