Title of the document

Tell me I’m crazy??

Bushwacked

I was sitting in my shop the other day just kinda annoyed at the clutter of trying to get to the drill presss/bandsaw/and planer … the though cross my mind of potentially getting rid of of the mitersaw station and lower cabinets. Keeping the upper cabinets. The lower cabinets take up quite a bit of room, but actually do not store all that much. Mainly has most of my systainers in the 2 right ones, then my HVLP in the middle left and random crap in far left.

I would build a rolling stand for the mitersaw and use the indeed/outfeed support stands if needed. Then tuck away when not in use on by the wall. Can put the planer up next to it too. then I could also move the bandsaw over there.

Use the wall for some storage too. Where it fits. Then would need to build out storage solutions finally under the CnC which I would finally be able to use the side of it now with the space. Then storage in the outfeed/workbench area. 

DC1D4619-E04D-4338-89EB-7B23AEAF590B.thumb.jpeg.605b99e444173970b31f0603c0a9cc34.jpeg

38B0F05D-893D-4D07-9D5A-D0E0893CB418.thumb.jpeg.8eb161679830110f7ac84ae7ca65f1a0.jpeg

crazy?? 

52 minutes ago, Woodenskye (Bryan) said:

I don’t think your crazy, I just don’t remember your shop layout so it may not give you the space you want or make it more efficient.  

Here are some pictures … it’s messy mid project haha. 

was also thinking maybe get rid of all the cabinets and then build a French clear wall to build up specific sections where they fit on there too. Maybe? Like specific cabinets and custom holders on there in between tools 

41550288-5BE9-4064-ACDB-B9A843835DE4.thumb.jpeg.6a287cb0bc3396c770cbc07547061c2d.jpeg

BB5701AB-AD38-4D7A-BD90-A36E13DF9904.thumb.jpeg.2c046c29095330609291176f059e3f8b.jpeg

9B510606-BE76-4BAF-95C8-11DBE581A861.thumb.jpeg.ceda78ae0172945fbeb7fb4e700e854b.jpeg

Ok I'll say it, you're crazy!

If you do away with those cabinets you still have to store the things that are in them.  That useful saw takes up 2' of space in an area that's dedicated for storage.  What you need is a healthy reorganization, don't make me come down there! 😉

I'm guessing there's a lot of things in your shop that you just don't use?  Sometimes the hardest part is bing honest with yourself and admitting that you don't use something and then make the decision to get rid of it.  I could probably pick out a handful of items in this picture alone that could be absent from your shop and you'd never miss them.  So many of us tuck things in a corner "because we'll need it someday".  If that item is paying rent, great!  Keep it.  If not, out the door it goes.  Pay it forward, sell it, whatever.  It actually looks to me like you need a storage shed more than you need to remove tools from your shop 🤣  

Yes, you can perform most (not all) of the miter saw functions on a table saw but, the miter saw is still faster and more efficient.  

Thanks for posting the pictures.  Kev and I generally don’t agree on miter saws, but he is right in this case, the saw isn’t a space hog when looking at the storage component.  A shop reorganization would be the first place to start.  My shop being a 1 car garage, I can’t keep stuff that isn’t used all the time.  My miter saw when in the shop Is on a stand with wheels and is jammed in with all the other tools I need to move out to use

One of the drawbacks I see to your shop is the location of the doors to the house and backyard I presume.  They make that part of the shop somewhat unusable, or a place to keep things.  Since you aren't parking in there maybe you could disable access, not by removing or building a wall, just placing a tool in front.  CNC may be best option.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Woodenskye (Bryan) said:

Thanks for posting the pictures.  Kev and I generally don’t agree on miter saws, but he is right in this case, the saw isn’t a space hog when looking at the storage component.  A shop reorganization would be the first place to start.  My shop being a 1 car garage, I can’t keep stuff that isn’t used all the time.  My miter saw when in the shop Is on a stand with wheels and is jammed in with all the other tools I need to move out to use

One of the drawbacks I see to your shop is the location of the doors to the house and backyard I presume.  They make that part of the shop somewhat unusable, or a place to keep things.  Since you aren't parking in there maybe you could disable access, not by removing or building a wall, just placing a tool in front.  CNC may be best option.

Bryan is correct that we tend do disagree on this topic and I'm ok with that!  I think it's best to get different sides to each issue with legitimate discourse and then decide what's best!  just because I like to have a miter saw in my shop doesn't mean that is what everyone else should think!  You have to do what is right for your shop and your work flow!