Title of the document

Workbenches

Kev

Workbenches seem to be a hot topic again for some reason.. Of course people want a killer bench for the least amount possible. So, here's a little blast from the past for you on a bench I built with my son. Poplar painted base with inexpensive hardware. But, it's still a split top (with maple) and designed to add the more expensive hardware in the future..  If my memory serves me correctly, I was right around $1400.00 to build this bench with everything seen in the picture.

Free plans available on my website.. There's also a 4 part series that goes a little more indepth than this one if you're interested.
We built this bench in 3 very long days and it's still in use and holding up well to this day.  Project from the last shop.

1 minute ago, Bushwacked said:

is he still using it or has life gotten in the way?

It's actually in my shop and still being used by me.  When it's not in my shop, it's in my wife's quilting room being used as an ironing station...lol

• Like 2

I think I come in just under you on my bench at $900 with the hardware. With 3 1/2” soft maple top an popular base. I didn’t build a base cabinet under it tho. Which to be honest I don’t regret at all not building.  I may add a shelf one day.  I used the LV leg vise thread an bench craft crisscross. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tmize said:

I think I come in just under you on my bench at $900 with the hardware. With 3 1/2” soft maple top an popular base. I didn’t build a base cabinet under it tho. Which to be honest I don’t regret at all not building.  I may add a shelf one day.  I used the LV leg vise thread an bench craft crisscross. 

Nice!  Certainly a much nicer front vise than what I put on this bench!

As for the storage, I just couldn't imagine a bench without it..  To each their own, everyone's workflow is different.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Tmize said:

I’m awful at shutting the tool drawers after I get a tool out while I’m working. So I have all them about 5’ behind in 2 different low cabinets. That way when I don’t shut a drawer I’m not hitting my knee or shin on them. 😁

Sometimes those are the best reminders to change a habit... 😉

• Haha 1