J/P Combo vs Separates

Olie

Two tools I thought about upgrading in the future are my jointer and planer. I work out of two stalls in a 3 car garage currently and I’m a hobbyist with young children so I’m a busy guy and not out there milling every week or hours per week. 

I’ve used Kev’s 16” Hammer and really liked it and have been researching the Hammer 16” J/P combo. It seems from my research people either love it or hate it. In terms or hating it, mostly due to the change over.

I’ve watched videos and the change over seems to be about a minute and the greater downsides are if you need to go back and forth from jointer to planer or forget something and need to joint or plane another piece and matching the same setting, etc. How much of a pain would that be? Is it worth it to just pay thousands more to get separates for a hobbyist? 

I got a quote a while ago and now whenever they have sales they email me. They just had a big sale and it was $5665 for a 16” J/P combo and $5145 for a 16” jointer only. That didn’t include shipping or any accessories, but $5665 for 16” of both jointing and planer seems like a great price compared to similar or even lower capacity separates. The combo would have its benefits of space savings, money savings, consolidation of dust collection, same infeed/outfeed space, don’t need to have additional electrical wired to put in a new outlet for separates. But would I hate the combo and change over? Technically I have the space for separates if I needed to. My thought would be why not just try the combo and if it doesn’t work for me it’s only $520 more for the combo and just dedicate as a jointer in the future and get a separate planer? 

I know Kev’s thoughts on combos and I’m interested in hearing more. I also know @pkinneb has the A3-31 12” combo but also has a separate planer so does that mean you decided you don’t like changing over so you bought another planer? Anyone else have feedback?

I’m just thinking about the long term and don’t even need to upgrade now or at all and just want to and when I’m busy with family and can’t make it out to the shop as much I turn to research and find more tools I want for when my kids get older, haha. 

• Like 3

I wish I could help but can’t. I do envy you for having the space for a machine or machines this size. A couple of questions though and the first is for Kev. Have you ever had the occasion to use the full capacity of the either the jointer or planer? Second question to both or all. On your current planer, if you need to match the thickness of a board you’ve already planed, how do you go about it? I have the DeWalt 735 and have had to use a micrometer to get the thickness on the after thought piece as close to exact as I could. 

2 hours ago, Coop said:

I wish I could help but can’t. I do envy you for having the space for a machine or machines this size. A couple of questions though and the first is for Kev. Have you ever had the occasion to use the full capacity of the either the jointer or planer? Second question to both or all. On your current planer, if you need to match the thickness of a board you’ve already planed, how do you go about it? I have the DeWalt 735 and have had to use a micrometer to get the thickness on the after thought piece as close to exact as I could. 

I don’t have an exact way to go back and match the thickness on my dewalt 735. I did have to go back and make another piece before but I didn’t need to be at a super exact dimension so I used my digital calipers to get close and then took another small cut and ran the previous pieces through to the new very close dimension because it didn’t matter that much. Probably not the way to go about it but that’s what I did! 

• Like 1

On 8/28/2024 at 5:20 PM, Olie said:

... I also know @pkinneb has the A3-31 12” combo but also has a separate planer so does that mean you decided you don’t like changing over so you bought another planer? 

Not exactly. If I had unlimited room and could afford 12" separates I would probably go that route. I don't so I went with the combo machine and for the most part have been happy with it. I bought the separate planner becuase it has a Shelix head and was actually relatively cheap at under $1K I wanted to see if I thought the Shelix head was worth all the hype given the Tersa straight blades in the Hammer are so good, it is but the Tersa knives are great the shelix is just better. The negative about a combo is switching over but as long as you plan your workout its fine. If you miss a board or have to redu one its a bit of a pain. this is where the 12" Oliver comes to play for me I also find myself using it on curly or figured wood for small boxes etc. I have less the $5K total into both machines and you simply can't buy separates for that price, period. You also can't fit them into the space that these fit into. I have had the Hammer for about 15-17 yrs ish don't remember exactly have used 4 sets of knives, and replaced a capacitor ($35) and it has been dead accurate with no adjustments in that time. I know folks will say you don't need a 12" jointer but I use boards wider then 8" on a regular basis and would never go back to a jointer less than 12". I also hear about the short bed argument and will just say outside of my Roubo bench build it has never been an issue I felt that needed to be addressed.

I think the new Hammer folds straight back and that would be awesome for space, mine is like bat wings and takes more room.

Bottom line for me and my shop I would go with the same setup again without any concern. If I was to upgrade it would be to the Felder AD 951 but its like 2.5 times the cost and honestly I just can't justify it and trust me I have tried LOL. 

• Like 1

@pkinneb Thanks. My space isn’t necessarily small at 28x30 but it sure isn’t big. I thought the space savings and advantages would outweigh the change over especially for someone like me who right now is a late evening and weekend warrior. I may not need 16” but have run into a lot of boards at my hardwood dealer that are greater than 8”. I thought about the hammer jointer only, but the combo is only $520 more and I figured why not try it and if it came to a point where I hated the change over and wanted separates then later down the road I could dedicate it as a jointer only and get a planer. 

On another note, did you see the new planer that Oliver is coming out with? It’s a 15” bench top planer with a Shelix head. 

2B9BD9F7-7608-4B21-9D0B-56D4A1E22C71.jpeg

To me that sounds like solid logic right there.

No I did not I'll have to check it out 🙂 

I'll tell you what I paid $899 plus tax for mine and at that price it is by far one of the best tools for the price in my shop. I like the new gauge on this one (just from the pic) as mine can be hard to read where its at.

4 hours ago, pkinneb said:

To me that sounds like solid logic right there.

No I did not I'll have to check it out 🙂 

I'll tell you what I paid $899 plus tax for mine and at that price it is by far one of the best tools for the price in my shop. I like the new gauge on this one (just from the pic) as mine can be hard to read where its at.

I heard the price for this new 15” will be around $1500 which is similar to a Dewalt 735 with a pre installed Byrd shelix head. 

• Like 1