Jessem Dowel Jig

As most of you know, I just don't use many dowels.  I have a cheap dowel jig that gets used very rarely.  But, I wanted to test drive the Jessem dowel jig set up which just arrived yesterday.  I got it mounted up and will dive into it more thoroughly once the desk project is done.

Interested if anyone else has this system and how you like it?

image.thumb.jpeg.7f3629e0533a83266e4475e9e2e89c35.jpeg

Just now, Coop said:

Curious as to why you purchased it? Just want to broaden your horizons?

There have been a few occasions that I think the dowel was just the best option.  It also seems a little unfair if I have someone in the shop to learn and they can't afford a domino.  Dowels are faster than traditional joinery but, I also think it's important to know how to to traditional joinery first before jumping into the faster ways of doing things.

As I said, it's not very often that these will get used but, it's nice to know that I have them if I want them.

• Like 1

Interested to see how you like it. I bought a dowelmax a few months back and then had second thoughts and returned it before opening the box to save for a domino. I saw that Woodpeckers came out with a new dowel jig too that looks pretty interesting. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 5/30/2024 at 10:12 PM, Olie said:

Interested to see how you like it. I bought a dowelmax a few months back and then had second thoughts and returned it before opening the box to save for a domino. I saw that Woodpeckers came out with a new dowel jig too that looks pretty interesting. 

So, I got the opportunity to use this on the picture frame and, for the most part, it works as advertised..  I used it in a pretty tricky spot on the picture frame.  With the thin material and the coved front, it was a little hard to see the alignment marks but, it got the job done.

• Like 1