Title of the document

HELP

A question for you hot shot wood joiners’.

I’m in the process of building some more doors for my crib down south and would like to get the boards that I have now cut to length parallel. Or less wiggly/bowed etc…

These boards started their life in my workshop as rough sawn lengths, a good many of them have live edge [feature]. I have put them all through my thicknesser a few times to clean up them up and give them each the same width [long side]. I have a jig I use to hold them on their edge so I can also give the narrow side a bit of a tickle as well.   

On the whole they are all pretty good, but when I lay them out there are gaps. At the end of the day I want to glue them edge to edge, last time I did a finger joint and it did not work out so flash. This time I’m going to try a straight but joint as I would like the outside face to be flat.

I could probably just glue them all and hope that when I clamp them this will squish the lot together and take out the gaps.

How wood you fellas go about this?

36 minutes ago, That Kiwi Bloke said:

I am so not very good at doing that. . . with a jointer. I was SOOOOO hoping there'd be another answer. So easy to make the narrow side square but i usually end up with a board that's even more poked than when i started.

BUT I hear you O B one.

I need to do some practice on wastage.

Yea, it's one of the best tools in the shop..  Flatten a face first.  When it's flat, run that flat face against the fence on the jointer to get the flat side.  This should result in a nice 90 degree corner.  The rest is just the table saw and planer.

It can be tricky if your pieces are long and your jointer is short.  In this case, start with a track saw (or poor man's version) to get the edge close and then finish up on the jointer.

I mostly use the joint-er to square up the botryoides before i turn it into chopping boards. The dunnage I'm using (which I think is some species of European Spruce) is a soft light wood. These thin boards seem to be at the mercy of temperature change a lot more, though its a bit more variable per board. Any who I will run em all over my cute wee jointer as has been suggested.

I'm thinking I will document this build with pictures because I am awesome. . .a legend in my own lunch time.

• Like 1