Title of the document

Project overage

Tmize

So I’ve sat down an added up my next 3 projects board feet by my drawing. These numbers are fairly exact. Normally I add 20% to it an call it good. Where I’m doubting my self is my bench project on the list. My number that I came up with is 93 bdft. I was planning on ordering 120 bdft all 5-6” wide by 8’ long to hold waste to a minimum. What has me second guessing myself is I see all these build post saying that the lowest to start with is like 175bdft. Now I’m not doing split top design. So that could be the difference. How much extra could there actually be?

6 minutes ago, Tmize said:

So I’ve sat down an added up my next 3 projects board feet by my drawing. These numbers are fairly exact. Normally I add 20% to it an call it good. Where I’m doubting my self is my bench project on the list. My number that I came up with is 93 bdft. I was planning on ordering 120 bdft all 5-6” wide by 8’ long to hold waste to a minimum. What has me second guessing myself is I see all these build post saying that the lowest to start with is like 175bdft. Now I’m not doing split top design. So that could be the difference. How much extra could there actually be?

Well, split top or not, the BF requirements are  not that much different as the only difference is in the top.

Now, if memory serves me correctly, your build is for shorter bench?  I wouldn't think the BF requirement would be that different..

No it’s About 8’ long by 24” wide so the same. My plan was to glue up the boards full length then trim the offsets from glue up off square. So it will end up probably 7’10” ish. With no bread board end an no second short stretcher to support the split top. The legs will mortise into the top a inch or so

DE7C5C6C-0F47-4B1D-8F71-1E2E17A5ED99.jpeg

9 minutes ago, Tmize said:

No it’s About 8’ long by 24” wide so the same.

If you make this top 4 inches thick with the measurements above, that 64 Bd Ft right there.  If you legs are something like 36 tall and 4 x 6 thats another 24 Bd Ft.  Thats 88 Bd Ft an you still need your stretchers and shelving and chop for the vise.  Seems like the 93 Bd Ft before your 20%  might be kind of tight.

• Thanks 1

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

Yea, I agree with Chet..  For some reason, I thought your bench was shorter..

I'd suggest to pick a direction and either building the top or the base first. I'm not sure it really matters which.  Buy and build that portion first and then figure out what you need for the rest.

Legs is where I messed up a lil I had at 3x5x36 at total of 16 bdft. I could build that with 8/4 stock without planing it off so. 

64-top

24-legs

8-long stretchers

5.5-short stretcher

Come to 101.5 bdft

So 100bdft hard maple for the top an 50bdft of popular for base. That should give some extra to make the chop correct?

18 minutes ago, Tmize said:

So 100bdft hard maple for the top an 50bdft of popular for base. That should give some extra to make the chop correct?

With your base and top species choices, you can get away with just about anything you'd like for the chop..  Chop really doesn't take up much lumber..  And, you can laminate to create variation if you'd like..