Garden Bench

I have not used CPES but, I know Marc believes in it.  It will still need maintenance.  Cremona has also done an outdoor table and it may have been CPES that he used on that I don't recall..  I'll try and remember to go have a look when I get to the hotel tonight.

• Like 1

I’m taking the day off tomorrow to meet a couple of friends in Lake Charles, LA to hopefully win enough at the bj tables to offset the cost of the lumber. But just in case, all of the lumber has been purchased and I’m driving so won’t need to worry about a plane ticket home.😁

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

With no excuse other than procrastination and getting my garden ready to plant, I finally got back into the shop. I milled some walnut down to the size of the legs for the extensions and cut them to 2” lengths. I then drilled the holes in the walnut and the legs and added 1/2” stainless rod for support secured with epoxy. 
IMG_6832.thumb.jpeg.2a1be2783dc7815cd6bfb502a681f71b.jpegIMG_6834.thumb.jpeg.6c7a515664aff3d41d2b20bc9b2691e9.jpeg

After the epoxy had dried, I sanded them smooth and added a layer of epoxy to the bottoms for protection from the weather.

IMG_6837.thumb.jpeg.7912def1a8f60dbb6ecf9d5d6c68db68.jpeg

The seat slats are attached to the seat supports from the bottom with #10, 3” long stainless screws. I drilled a 1/2” deep recess from the bottom followed by a 3/16” thru hole for the screw shank. The holes will not be plugged in case a slat(s) needs to be replaced in the future.

IMG_0119.thumb.jpeg.a8886dd1e1495d33ccafe0110359dfba.jpeg

With these done, I can now add epoxy to some pieces and work towards completion. 

IMG_6833.jpeg

• Like 4

After the epoxy had dried, i epoxied and clamped the leg and arm rest assemblies together and set them aside to dry.

IMG_6840.thumb.jpeg.b37aa1ac85a272de2a5e56a0b0089849.jpeg

Next up was adding the front and back rails and putting everything in clamps.

IMG_6841.thumb.jpeg.7a5f384f16ae74ca5154767adc7cb08f.jpeg

When the epoxy had dried, I took the clamps off and went to move the bench and one of the walnut leg extensions fell off. This is the third time I have used this method and the first time I’ve had a casualty. 
IMG_6849.thumb.jpeg.218401715e002f8b76f4f381ef5d3f4e.jpeg

Not sure the cause but I cut a couple of notches in the SS bar for a little more bite and epoxied it back in place. Still trying to decide on a finish. 

• Like 3