Mother's Flag

I used Slab Stitcher to cut the Dutchment in the back.  I've had this kit for a while but, wasn't properly set up for it the first time I tried it so they didn't turn out too well.  Well, I picked up the couple of little pieces I needed to use the system correctly and they turned out much better this time!

Here's the Slab Stitcher set up.  Plunge attachment on my trim outer with a bushing and 1/4" spiral bit.

image.thumb.jpeg.f71eb37e98ddbe2a8080da44fc692784.jpeg

And here's how they fit

image.thumb.jpeg.ec2aa7931ac835e2293c9a200c78ffb5.jpeg

I had to do a little work in the corners to get their Dutchment to fit but, I'm pretty happy with this fit.  Especially on the back side of a frame.

• Like 3

And now with a little Osmo on it..  They did ask for a frame that looked a little older and not brand new so, some things I would have normally sanded out or color corrected I left in.  I may set it out in the sun over the next few days and let the sun go to work on the cherry strips..

image.thumb.jpeg.ac46f72ddc58e7770ff88f8487b7dc1a.jpeg

• Like 2

Having helped a friend build several large frames, (not quite this large or complex), I’d say that you have this one under control! Any idea what the glass will weigh? This bugger, total weight might be 20 lbs.? 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Coop said:

Having helped a friend build several large frames, (not quite this large or complex), I’d say that you have this one under control! Any idea what the glass will weigh? This bugger, total weight might be 20 lbs.? 

Fair question and I honestly don't know.  That's the reason I added the Dutchmen in the back.  I have hanging wire rated for 50 pounds..

4 minutes ago, Coop said:

In addition to the scaffolding! Just kidding! 
The recipient doesn’t know how lucky they are! 

Thanks..  All for a good cause in this case..  Will be cool to see the flag in a place of prominence for a long time!

• Like 1

We adhered the flag to the backer this morning as well..  It's a good thing my wife is a quilter that knows more about how to do this than I do!

We used a temporary fabric adhesive to affix it to the backer.  We rolled the flag up on a large dowel and sprayed the adhesive.  Then we rolled out the flag removing wrinkles as we went.  My wife assures me that this will not damage the flag in any way and is easily removed if the flag ever needs to come out.

image.thumb.jpeg.1c82fec3b7d9858adb5af5dc99546013.jpeg

This is the adhesive that we used.

image.thumb.jpeg.e60bba376c0be7b5534f7679bfb5965c.jpeg

• Like 3

Well, shortly after I glued up the second Rocker for the Child's Rocker, I got the call that the glass one in for this project so, I went and picked it up..

Not much to see here but, I got the glass cleaned and the flag installed.  I also installed the mounting hardware that is rated for 110 pounds.  I think this probably weighs about 35 pounds..

image.thumb.jpeg.b6fbb11d354607eb91e226dca90364dd.jpeg

Then I cleaned the glass on the outside and attempted a picture..  As all of you know, taking a picture of anything with glass is difficult at best!

image.thumb.jpeg.cab810db1c4aecc5052f9136f6e63b7f.jpeg

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Olie said:

Very cool project. I don’t know anything about installing glass. Is it glued in the rabbet with a glass adhesive?

No, it's just set in the rabbet with the backer and a series of picture frame clips..  I have a little gun that shoots them but they can be manually installed.

image.thumb.jpeg.581ac2c142fb5c7e4ce482145549eb6c.jpeg

• Like 1