Title of the document

Compass/Divider

Coop

A spin off of Kev’s review of the Harvey Compass. When I think of a compass I think of a divider type tool with a pencil on one side, to mark the circumference of a circle. Do any of you use the divider style tool for layout work and can you direct me to a link or two as to how to use these. I did find a site, “ Inspire Woodcraft” on YouTube that kind of helped. Probably my grey area not comprehending! 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Coop said:

A spin off of Kev’s review of the Harvey Compass. When I think of a compass I think of a divider type tool with a pencil on one side, to mark the circumference of a circle. Do any of you use the divider style tool for layout work and can you direct me to a link or two as to how to use these. I did find a site, “ Inspire Woodcraft” on YouTube that kind of helped. Probably my grey area not comprehending! 

I've had quite a few in my shop but, none that I actually like and would recommend to you folks..  Looking forward to some other answers to see what the others like and use!

I’ve seen them used to layout dt’s but all were in the use and not explaining the process. The site that I referred to, preferred one mfg above others but doesn’t explain why. Will wait for others to chime in. 

39 minutes ago, Coop said:

I’ve seen them used to layout dt’s but all were in the use and not explaining the process. The site that I referred to, preferred one mfg above others but doesn’t explain why. Will wait for others to chime in. 

So, a divider is different than a compass..  The compass usually has the pencil and the divider is usually just 2 points.

I use dividers for laying out DTs.  There's lots of good options here from Starrett to LV.  I use them both at my hand tool bench as well as my lathe.  I think I have a video for laying out DTs..  Let me know if this is what you're looking for and I'll hunt it up for you.

The compass on the other hand is used for laying out arches and circles and I haven't found one I like yet!  I have other templates and drawing bows that I use for that purpose.  I'd be happy to link some of my favorites if you like?

• Like 1