Title of the document

Handtool Corner

Kev

This is actually more of a continuation of the shop tweaks thread but, this one is going to take me a few days.  It's a lot of repetitive work that doesn't make for a great video but, it should be a nice upgrade for me..

This is what my hand tool corner looked like this morning when I started..

image.thumb.jpeg.2e7c4b9b8a6decb8c1703b75c7bb1abf.jpeg

The problem is that this open corner off the end of my bench tends to be the storage place for the video equipment when not in use.  So, any time I wanted a tool off of that left side I had to fight / move the video equipment to get what I needed.  And, this is the most convenient and logical place to store the video equipment.

I started this morning by removing everything on the left side.. Creating a blank slate that I have a plan for in the future..

image.thumb.jpeg.445d7df7249399e00951d8ea989eeca5.jpeg

I essentially have 3 different style chisel handles so, I created router templates of each one..

image.thumb.jpeg.03b5b86fed8d3a5d096040728e9195e8.jpeg

From there, it was just a matter of routing for most of the rest of the day.  There were some tweaks here and there but, for the most part, it was pretty straight forward.  This will mount on the wall behind and above the bench and below the cabinet.  It will be on a slight angle.

image.thumb.jpeg.65092202dccb2460154004ea2e322540.jpeg

And, they do all fit nicely..

image.thumb.jpeg.f5724b8fc68a670cbaa6ba7ddc312be0.jpeg

I did have a router bit break on me at one point and leave a healthy gouge in a side wall.  I currently have epoxy on that and I'll clean it up tomorrow or when I get back to it.

I have some magnets on order so, it may be a day or 2 before I get back to this.

• Like 1

Not a lot done on this today as I had some other things planned for the day.

I did manage to get all the back structure in place.  Hopefully the magnets will be here soon and I can get this one wrapped up!

image.thumb.jpeg.e5edf2d2ad1904c6b8e3c1abaace28e3.jpeg

27 minutes ago, Coop said:

On the templates, did you outline the chisels and freehand route them out? 

I made the templates by tracing the handle on the 1/2" ply and then cutting them out 1/8" over size to account for the guide bushing on the router.  I did the cutouts with a jigsaw and then cleaned them up with a rasp.

I still have the templates if you need some closer pictures ..

Magnets should be here Monday so, I continued today with the dead space in the corner where I took all the chisels down.

My kids got me there patented prints for Christmas and I just wasn't sure where I was going to hang them.  Well, that spot naturally opened up so, I got them framed in some scrap walnut and hung today..

image.thumb.jpeg.91f8ffbee77f50bb8303021e327024b9.jpeg

• Like 3

The magnets arrived late last night so, I got them installed this morning..

I also wanted to try another finish since this is shop furniture.  Keep in mind that I didn't spend much time sanding and prepping this one so, there's a few glue spots and stuff but, I wanted to see how the finish would do..

image.thumb.jpeg.43e42a23aaae45b133ecc4046b857663.jpeg

This is being pushed as General Finishes answer to Rubio Monocoat.  I will say that it looks and smells nearly identical to Rubio.  Like Rubio, a little goes a long way but, it might not go quite as far as Rubio..

image.thumb.jpeg.6c54694e9b43714c107e47deb5a1532e.jpeg

I just finished applying the finish so, I'll report back later this afternoon with some final thoughts on this finish as well as finishing this project up!

No weird stuff in this on @Coop🤣

• Haha 1

Well cure time (at least to handle) is also very similar to Rubio..  Frankly, I can't find too much difference between the General Finishes hard wax oil and Rubio Monocoat!  

Differences I found

• Only one part for General Finishes - Rubio has a hardener but, from what I understand, it's not required.
  • Cost - General Finishes is $57.98 for one pint.  Rubio is $59.40 for 350ML - For the record, there's ~473ML to a pint - So the GF is a little less expensive.

Anyway, this project is done for now.  I've left a little room for growth..

image.thumb.jpeg.2bcf78e3b7753d52a0f79fbbfa99e1d4.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.6bd2885ae5218caed7313135e00a345e.jpeg

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Coop said:

I was wondering. So the three on the right use round rare earth magnets? 

Yes.  They were at different heights so I didn't route a groove for them.  In all, I used all 10 of the magnets that I ordered but, the 10th one is the one on the right to hang misc. stuff from for now.