Title of the document

Work Benches

Chet

Well I’ve come back to the classic Roubo design by bench crafted. I don’t think I can spring for their leg vise hardware this time. I am going to do Lee valley tail vise screw for the leg vise. I have that vise now as a tail vise on my bench now an it is very smooth an operate great so I don’t think I’ll have much problems with it in the leg vise. I don’t know yet if I’ll do the sliding board with pins or just use a wedge at the bottom to counter the racking  suggestions?

5 minutes ago, Tmize said:

Well I’ve come back to the classic Roubo design by bench crafted. I don’t think I can spring for their leg vise hardware this time. I am going to do Lee valley tail vise screw for the leg vise. I have that vise now as a tail vise on my bench now an it is very smooth an operate great so I don’t think I’ll have much problems with it in the leg vise. I don’t know yet if I’ll do the sliding board with pins or just use a wedge at the bottom to counter the racking  suggestions?

I don't have the deadman in mine and I'm not sure I ever really missed it..  One thing I did to is to locate the hold fast storage holes in the other leg in a place that they can be used if/when needed to hold long material.  I hope that makes sense?

• Like 1

Yea I’m not doing the sliding deadman either I’m trying to upload a pic of it. It’s not shown on it either. What I’m talking about is the old way of adjusting the toe in on the vise without the crisscross that bench craft makes with theirs

3 minutes ago, Kev said:

I don't have the deadman in mine and I'm not sure I ever really missed it..  One thing I did to is to locate the hold fast storage holes in the other leg in a place that they can be used if/when needed to hold long material.  I hope that makes sense?

1 minute ago, Tmize said:

Yea I’m not doing the sliding deadman either I’m trying to upload a pic of it. It’s not shown on it either. What I’m talking about is the old way of adjusting the toe in on the vise without the crisscross that bench craft makes with theirs

Ah, gotchya..  I think Jay Bates just used a block of wood on the floor and it seemed to work fine for him..

2 minutes ago, Kev said:

Ah, gotchya..  I think Jay Bates just used a block of wood on the floor and it seemed to work fine for him..

Yes that is where I seen that. The traditional way I believe is a board mortised thru the leg with multiple holes in it an move a pin to the desired offset to have the vise toe in just a little bit

Yea, that's the early version of the BC vise as well..  The new criss cross is pretty nice!  I haven't looked at pricing on them lately but, they weren't cheap back when I bought them (2 total)..

• Like 1

Just now, Tmize said:

Yea they still want about $400 for them. I got a couple more tools I’m wanting to buy instead of spending it on one vise.  I can always upgrade if I feel I need to. 

Understandable!  I still suggest doing the joinery for the BC stuff when you build the leg..  Much easier when you can put the leg on the bench..