Title of the document

Traditional tail vise

Chet

Submitted on the old forum by tmize

So I’m in the process of rebuilding my tail vise. The hardware I have is from LV. I built it about 1 1/2 yrs ago and it works but I rushed thru the build to excited about using the bench. So the problem was it wasn’t quite square to the dog holes. So I squared it up with the holes and is tracking well now. The plan was to reattach the wooden vise portion and be done. But since building it I found a article in fine woodworking to does a decent job on building it using a core blank inside the outer 8/4 shell. So my question is there another way to build it an still be sturdy without the normal slumping that normally happens with this type of vise. If I’m going to take the time to redo recutting these giant dovetails by hand again I want to last awhile. 

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

Follow up posts

1) The only LV tail vise I've played with is the inset.  Can you post a couple pics?  

2) I would but I have yet to figure out how to post pictures on here. I’m one of the few young ones that are not a wiz with this whole computer thing.

3) lol..  Use the "reply" option instead of the "quick reply" option.

Click on add attachment and select your files.

This site does limit you to 3 pictures per post..  I we grow enough, I'll pay and upgrade the site.

4) I figured it out. I was on mobile view I switched to desktop an seen what you were talking about. Thanks

5) Nice looking bench! Looks like it's great to work at!

Can you post a link to the article? That would be the other half of the puzzle for me 

6) Nice looking bench! Looks like it's great to work at!

Can you post a link to the article? That would be the other half of the puzzle for me 

7) Here you go www.finewoodworking.com/membership/pdf/40986/011162050.pdf?fww_sid=NzE1NTRkNGYzNTM2NmMzNjQzNmI2NjY0Nzc3Mzc4NTE4NWY0NzQyODIyY2M2YTExNGQwZmUwZWExODlmMjRkM2RlOWN8MTUwNTI2NzAxMQ%3D%3D&fww_token=e0f513f3f95a6b32bc6d3144575a749e 
It part of their members only site so it may not link right

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus