Title of the document

Magazines

Thread transferred from previous forum - Original Post by Jamie

Original Post:

What if any magazines do you guys subscribe to or purchase? I used to get popular woodworking when I was younger and did renew my subscription around the 1st of the year. Haven’t seen a copy show up yet but keep getting renew bills in the mail from them. 

Follow Up Posts:

1)  I used to subscribe to FWW, Wood, Woodsmith Shop, but have let all of them lapse.

2)  I used to subscribe to Popular woodworking but I guess I kind of out grew them or the dumbed down their magazine. Now I just have Fine Woodworking,

3)  Mortise an tenon magazine is the only one I have now. It’s more a historical and hand tool type quarterly book. I had pm and fww I cancelled them both nothing interested my much

4)  ermmm A neighbor gave me a cd with about 30 years worth of Fine Wood Working mags on it that dates back to when Adam was an apprentice. I dumped that on my PC so now when ever I'm looking at starting a project I go look through them to see what is close to if how to do it. Usually i see its too complicated and loose interest. But I do like looking through them occasionally.

On the other hand I have a whole heap of technical books on cabinetry, workbenches, country furniture, green and green, joints and so on and so fourth. Plus another whole lot in the ebook department

5)  Have to drop an update.....a couple weeks back was my birthday. Courtney and the girls got me one of the best birthday presents I have ever received, the wood smith shop digital collection. It has been very enjoyable to me. Lots of projects to flip through plus the search option is awesome. It was a perfect gift for me as drawing up plans would be one of my biggest weaknesses in the shop. I haven’t built any of the projects from it yet, looking at a few of them. I always seem to stray a little from there plans and come up with different ways to do things.

Been kinda fun to look back at the projects. In our high school woods class we built projects from their plans. Found one of a mirror frame that I did as one of my projects. Seen others that my buddies did and can remember looking at quite a few of the old yellow pages.

I was lucky enough to take the class 2 times. Not that I failed it but I enjoyed it that much. When I was a senior in high school I happened to have study hall during junior high shop class. The shop teacher actually pulled me out of study hall to come in and help with the junior high kids. Which did make me want to be a shop teacher, a dream that I never did fall into. I did actually sign up for classes a couple years out of high school but end up getting a job at the cabinet shop about a month before classes were to start.

6)  I still sub to Wood mag but, that's more because that's what the family gets me for special occasions.. I hate to admit it but, I think the print media is on its way out.

7)  I agree print is on its way out. I will say that I do enjoy holding a magazine in my hands more than a tablet 

Agreed!  The down side is storing all the old magazines..  I always hate it when it's time to thin the pile!

9)  Could look through the old pile and find a cabinet plan to build to store the over run

10)   Thats the nice thing about Fine Woodworking.  I get their magazine but throw it away when I am done because you can access all their magazines on their website too.  And the have a pretty decent search mechanism.