Title of the document

Why you should probably wear boots in the workshop

Thread transferred from previous forum - Original Post by Puka

Original Post:

I didn't feel a thing! Until my toes started to stick together. :) (Picture Below)

Follow Up Posts:

1)  I know there are lots of woodworkers that wear open toed shoes in the shop. Maybe it's because I'm a safety professional, I don't know but, this practice is just about as brainless is it gets. It's a pure sign that not enough people have been bitten to spread the word to wise up.

Thanks for the post!

2)  If you had been barefooted, you would have had time to pull your foot out of the way without the added drag those shoes provided.

3)  I think not wearing proper shoes or boots in the shop is just plane bad thinking. In my career before I became a professional retired person I saw enough bloody injuries to last me. I see no reason to want to add me to the list.

4)  Steel toes all day. Only time I’m not is if I am finishing a piece.

5)  I kicked something somewhere when i did that. AND I haven't learnt from this. I still wear jandels or nothing at all. But then I am a brainless moron that doesn't think so I'll just keep doing it.

On the other hand I was in my bedroom the other day and kicked one of my bed posts and smashed another toe nail off.

No way you will catch me wearing steel caps to bed.

Strangely enough some years ago I was doing some tramping down south. I'd brought some cheaper summer boots and they got wet and shrank a bit. My big toe nails went black on both feet and after a few days they started to ach something cronic. I was walking around in one of the huts and you guessed it I kicked the kick board under the sink and ripped one of the toe nails partially off. Couldn't get the boot on after that and ended up hobbling around a couple of days before I took the bull by the horns, closed my eyes and ripped it the rest of the way off with a pair of foldy plyiers.

Instant relief and lots of blood. BUT boy did it feel 100% better after that. Went down to the lakes edge and dangled by tootsies in the cold alpine water (snow melt) for a few till they were all clean (and numb), dried them off wrapped it up and away i went.

Not one of my bestest two weeks away in the bush but XXXX happens.

I kick toe nails off on a regular basis. Usually about once a year.

6)  Sound like maybe you should avoid doing things that involve your feet. :) :) :)

toe.JPG