Title of the document

Frame for a Shirt or Jersey

Thread transferred from previous forum - Original Post by Coop

Original Post:

My dad started the company that I worked for, owned, sold and still work at in 1945. When he passed, I found an old uniform shirt that has the company name and his last name embroidered on the back. I would like to make a frame for it, similiar to the ones you see with a sports jersey mounted in it. Anyone have any idea how to mount the shirt onto the back board? I guess it will be more of a shadowbox than a frame? This is what I’m referring to. (Example 1st Picture Below)

Follow Up Posts:

1)  That is a dang good question.....is the back board a matting material that you could pin through it somehow?

2)  I would think that the backboard could be 1/4” ply or so. Not sure about spray adhesive, Velcro, or what? This is a full fledged old cotton type shirt, way before the type of now days.

3)  I’m trying to think of a way that does the least amount of damage to the shirt without seeing it. Might have to check out the university of YouTube

4)  Not sure how to fold it and secure it in the frame. Just an old shirt.  (Second Picture Below)

5)  Sadly disappointed Coop ;)

I did this very build some time back..

The shirt is now mounted.. How it was done... 1/4" ply backer in the frame for stability. Glued in 1/4" poster backer board (painted black) and the shirt was simply pinned to that.

Now, the owner actually mounted the shirt and I was uninvolved. If I were going to do it, I'd of done 1/2" ply backer in the frame and placed rare earth magnets to mount the shirt. To me, not poking holes in the shirt and being easily removable is a better way to go..2

6)  Ken,

This article may help you.

www.cardboardconnection.com/how-frame-jersey

7)  Kev, I would have sworn it was yours that I saw and I did one of my not so proficient searches and couldn’t find it. Thanks bud.

8  Perfect! Thanks Chet! 

9)  Probably..  I would have preferred glass but, because it was for a client, I also had to consider cost.  Because it was shipped, I just skipped that detail with the client and did the Plexi.  Now, in hindsight, Plexiglas has gotten really expensive so, glass might actually be a cheaper options now?      

10) I’m sure broken picture frame glasses are a rarity but I probably need to make adjustments to be able to replace the glass, just in case.

11) The easiest way is just with some simple stops inside the glass.

12)    Making some sort of a lip on the front and not having a groove for the glass to slide into and having the glass wedged between the lip and the stops?

13)  Yep..  That's how the flag boxes are done as well so that the glass is replaceable.

14)  That being the case, I could actually make the front a door I guess.

15)  You could and there's nothing wrong with that.  I just wanted the continuous case sides on mine.  You could do it without a door, you'd just need to rabbet all but the front lip on the inside and then line it with what ever the thickness of your rabbet is..  

16)  Kev, in your video you mentioned that you pre-finished your frame. You painted only the ply backer board, right, and not the inside of the frame?

17) Correct..  The backer board was painted and the inside of the actual box was finished per normal process.   

D86673F3-EF7F-43BD-8931-A33B33992EC2.jpeg

2.jpeg