Title of the document

Bench Hooks

Chet

Submitted on the old forum by Chet

I saw these on an old episode of Woodsmith Shop and decided to make 4 to use when breaking down my stock with the jig saw.  They allow you raise your stock and cut over the bench instead of having to have your cut hang off the edge and then needing to hold the off cut with one hand to keep it from breaking away and splintering. 

IMG_1452.jpg

IMG_1451.jpg

IMG_1439.jpg

For storage I put an eye screw in he end of each to hang from hooks over head when I done with them.

IMG_1453.jpg

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

Follow up posts

1) I like it! I might borrow this idea but, make them fit in the dog holes on my bench..

2) That a good idea.  I might have t think about that, although being able to slide them anywhere to get them oriented with the cut line...

I didn't give any really thinking to the design beyond what I saw on the TV show.

3) I have been giving this some more thought and was thinking along the same lines as you..  I think for me, 2 fixed and 2 sliders would do the trick.  For the 2 sliders, some way to actually clamp them to the table would be a good idea as well..

4) Nicely done Chet. Simple but effective.

5) These are brilliant!!

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus