Title of the document

Mundane Organization Sometimes Feels Good

Thread transferred from previous forum - Original Post by Woodenskye

Original Post:

So the other day I needed to take apart an old treadmill, then was going to have to assemble a new one, but this should make all projects easier in the end.  I have tools (wrenches, sockets, screwdrivers, etc.) in 4 different locations, not counting the shop set.  So this afternoon, I gathered everything up and consolidated into 1 tool box.  Felt good to get this all organized.  Now hopefully I don't have to go out and buy a new set of Allen keys cause I don't know where the 3 previous sets I bought were.  

Follow Up Posts:

1)  Lol.. I did this with the new shop build, and you're right! It is nice to have the organization!

I have a set of "what I need" in my shop and those items are never removed. Nothing worse than needing something in the shop and I can't find it because a family member has a project and grabbed one of the shop tools. I also have a roll away box that lives in the old shop with a complete set of tools for general use. And, I also have a small tool bag that lives in the house with some misc. stuff like a tape measure and some screw drivers but, nothing elaborate.

I've told the family that if they lose what's in the old shop or the house that they need to replace those items. The shop's tools are not a replacement for those items. Now, if something comes up (non shop related) that I don't own a tool for, I may use the shop tool to get that task done but, I'm usually pretty quick to make a trip to town and make sure that that tool lives in the general box for the future.

2)  It seemed like life got much better when my two kids moved out on their own about 18 years back. My shop also has my roll around tool chest so everything is in the shop and no matter what the project is or where in the house or if it is a multi day project, at the end of the day everything is back in its spot. Kev used to yell at me because I would put something away that he was going to still be using sometime during the day. 8-)

3)  It was all with love @chet!  ;)

4)  Both of you guys would literally throw up your hands and go get a beer if you were in my shop together with me. But I guess my habits were sort of a reverse influence on my son and daughter as they are supper organized. 

5)  You're never too old to learn new tricks Coop!  ;)

6)  Always open unless it’s something like Facebook.