Title of the document

What My Day Looks Like

Transferred from previous forum - Original Post by Kev

Original Post:

I've received more than a few questions around how I'm able to accomplish as much work as I do. It's a fair question.

For those that don't know, I work (primarily) in the oil and gas industry working turnaround to turnaround. A turnaround is simply where a particular refinery brings units down for required maintenance. This usually means that they last from 4 to 8 weeks. This in turn means that I could be on the road from 5 to 9 weeks for a typical turnaround. This is also where I've had the awesome opportunity to spend some time with some of you!

So, how do I still complete a video a week? Careful planning on my part to be honest!

My reality is that I might get a month home here and there and that equals a lot of dedicated shop time for me. When I'm on the road for work, I'm in constant communication with my wife and various clients about what the upcoming builds will be. Obviously, client project projects come first but, the wife's requests come a very close second!

I usually start in the shop the day after I get home but, have been known to go to my HW dealer on the same day I get home to pick up materials for the next build. From there, there's lots of long days in the shop where I work on these projects followed by lots of late nights getting the video edited for release. An average 12 hour day in the shop usually gets me about 5 minutes of useable video. So, the hope is that I'm home long enough to get enough video to cover me when I head out for the next job.

To put that in perspective.. I was home for just shy of a month after the last job. In that time, I built the display case, entry level bench, entry/hall table, and the floating picture frames which have not even been released yet. And, of course, my wife is grabbing footage one the new shop going up while I'm gone to show you guys that process as well. This is really why I've recruited Mel to help me out with the design work as I just simply don't have time to pull this off as well.

So, if I release a "hiatus" video, it's merely because I'm on the road for work and have not had any shop time at all. I still try to release a video each week but, sometimes the day job just gets in the way. I don't do this for money, there are no sponsors, I'm not asking for money on patreon, etc.. I do this purely because I enjoy it!

I really enjoy taking you guys on my journey! Thanks for your participation in this forum as well as following me on YouTube! For the record, I'm not making any money there either as I don't have enough followers. Maybe one day I will and can count on a few bucks in my retirement but, that's still a little ways off. For now, I just enjoy making the content, having fun with the projects, answering your questions, and growing as a woodworker!

I hope that explains the common question and I welcome the questions and reactions that follow.

Follow Up Posts:

1)  Thanks bud for taking the time to explain this. Although we know you love this hobby, you’re posting the videos, running this site and Admin of WTO have got to be demanding and we appreciate all you do and the patience of your wife as well.

2)  I Appreciate it Coop!