Title of the document

How would you do the inside panels?

Thread transferred from previous forum - Original Post by Bushwacked

Original Post:

Video just came out but I’m curious if his way for panels is the best way? It’s a great looking desk design though and may have to borrow some inspiration from it for my desk build next year.

I’m thinking possibly 3/4” frame and then 1/2 walnut ply and dado them in so they are flush on back and no need for pocket holes just some glue and brads and a 1/4 reveal on the front.

Follow Up Posts:

1)  Simple frame and panel construction. I would disagree that it is a great looking desk, the middle section (to many stiles) and the opposing grain direction makes it look cheap in my opinion.

2)  I agree on both points

3)  Beauty is all in the eye of the beholder. Have you picked up Marc's Guild project and looked at that desk?
If I wanted the look in your example, I would be tempted to do it in one sheet of ply and affix fake styles to achieve the look you want

4)  Kev, what’s your opinion on the front panels runnIng horizontal? I agree on the eye of the beholder and I am definately not one to consult on design but to me, it looks like the left and right panels should have several drawer pulls on them. JMO.

5)  Wouldn't be my choice but, if the grain lines up it could look ok..  Especially on the back of the desk.  More difficult on the sides and fronts.

6)  I’m going to call an “Eric” here, not my normal. This thing just screams, “ hey, I’m made of plywood”! Again, you’re right, just a matter of opinion

7)  I don't disagree but, what if that's what you wanted?

8  IKEA?

9)  Design is subjective, and if this was a commissioned piece and what customer wants then they are right.

One of my biggest complaints about things like this are walnut vs walnut ply always looks mismatched. Around me, walnut ply is $100, I could do 1/2" hardwood panels for about the same price and get a better grain and color match. Unless you are really good at finishing it looks like a cheap plywood mass produced product (IKEA). Personally I think if you were going to use ply, cherry and matching the grain direction would have been better.

10)  I did go look at this video last night and he's pretty outrageous on his pricing IMO. There's no way I'd pay that for sheet goods and pocket holes

11)  So what are y’all thinking the wood choice would be? Walnut play and maple/cherry frame? Or vice versa?
I would assume 1/2” hardwood panels would be a lot of movement to have to deal with ... no?
On the back bridge looking middle piece I would probably only have 2 “style” pieces and cut out the one in the dead middle.

12)  His was all walnut.. His really shows the contrast between ply and solid. Doesn't mean it has to be that way tho.
I don't recall if he listed sizes in his video but, you're probably in the ballpark.
If you're doing floating solid panels, just be sure to leave room for movement in the dados.

13)  I don’t think I would bring maple into this build. Maybe cherry panel with a vertical grain with a shellac base and walnut frame. 

14)  Hmmm cherry and walnut. Haven’t thought much about that combo. Should look good