Title of the document

Wood/Lumber Shipment

Thread transferred from previous forum - Original Post by Coop

Original Post:

I’ve polled a couple of guys on this but would like everyone’s opinion and it might be helpful for others in the future, faced with this delima. I’m going to order some boards from Spanky and they are currently 10’ long. This is his first time to ship and he called UPS and FedEx and the longest he can ship, standard freight is 7’. I will check with other freight carriers tomorrow for charges and restrictions. Question to you guys, given the 7’ limit and with your woodworking experience, would you have Spanky cut these at: 1) In half 2) 6’ x 4’, 3) 7’ & 3’, 4) other, 5) pay the extra fry. and ship the 10’? 
Follow Up Posts:

1)  Coop and I have talked privately on this issue and I encouraged the public post so everyone could benefit from the conversation. I'd really like to see Mel chime in because I know he's done a bit of shipping.

2)  I've never shipped wood before... I've bought a bunch from the local places (local meaning in state), and they have their own trucks. My guess would be that the quicker you need it, the more expensive it will be... If you don't care about it getting there in a week or so, try U-Ship... There is probably a guy headed your way that would pick it up for cheap.

3)  UShip is probably the best option. The other thing is maybe call a company like Bell Forrest and see if they have restrictions on length and who they use to ship. If it absoulutely had to be broken down, I would probably go with the 6' and 4'.

4)  I too am leaning towards the 6’ & 4’. Thanks both of you for the UShip idea. I’ve never heard of it.

5)  The other option Coop is if you call one of the national moving companies they may be able to complete a truck that would be going your way.

6)  I’ve never ordered wood before and am still trying to conceive what the mass and weight will be. Picking it up and throwing a board over your shoulder and taking it to check out has been my norm. This indeed will be a lesson. I’ll update when it arrives.

7)  I'm just being curious about how you solved your wood shipping?

8  I haven’t acted on it yet. To ship 8 ea. 10’ x 8” x 1” boards, approx. 120 lbs. will cost about $350. I really don’t need them and can probably get them here as cheap total, but I’ve seen them in person and they sure are sweet. I like working with qtr. sawn syscamore and one of my suppliers doesn’t carry it and the other calls it exotic for some reason and the few crappy pieces they have go for $12.50 bf.

9)  Thanks Ken. I was just curious. I ship wood all over the country but nothing over 48" long. UPS tacks on an additional fee for packages over 48".