Title of the document

Dust Collection Setup Question

Chet

Submitted on the old forum by bushwacked

So until I can get proper DC installed in my garage, I am going to be running a flex hose about 5' to each machine - TS and Jointer - However my question is ... 

should I run one 4" line and move it ... which is easy enough and not a problem ...
Or
Connect two 4" lines and run one to the TS and one to the jointer ...

Reason I am asking is there would not be any blast gates, so I am curious if I would lose efficiency running 2 lines wide open vs just running 1 line with the other 4" port closed off like it is now.

Thoughts?

Here is the layout and DC ... I will also be getting new hosing, most likely from Rockler once I figure out how to handle this.

20200201_142321.jpg

Follow up posts

1) Without gates, certainly the second option would be least efficient.

2) ok, I was thinking that would be the case for as little as his DC is ...

3) First off if you are going to rocker to purchase hose, why not get a couple of gates at the same time? Their not that expensive and eventually when you go to hard pipe you are going to need them any way. They're probably around $15 each. The only thing is stay away from the plastic ones, they clog up pretty easily.

But having said that I read somewhere about running you dc system with two gates open all the time, if I remember this was supposed to increase the productivity of smaller dust collectors. I have the gate open almost all the time on my table saw and I honestly don't see a drop off at the other machines. 

I would try running hose to both and see how it goes. If it doesn't work at all just disconnect the one hose and store it way, again, you are going to need it when you hard pipe your shop.

4) I agree with Kev. 4” gates are pretty inexpensive. I think it would be worth a shot to try them. Amazon has them and hose pretty reasonably. I think I bout 50’ of 4 in hose for like $90 and the blast gates for around $15. Just make sure you don’t get the ones where the metal slides all the way through with a hole cut in it. They seem to leak a ton of air. 

I also keep a 2” like open on my system almost all the time. Only reason is the cheaper blast gates like to vibrate when only one gate is open. Drives me nuts!

5) With respect, I think @chet gets credit for that suggestion and I agree with him.  I'll be the first to admit that his "second gate open" suggestion throws me off a bit but, I also haven't tested that theory so, I'm looking forward to getting home to test this for myself.  @chet is a pretty smart guy but, I'll have to see this one for myself.  I am not a DC expert by any stretch so, this is just baffeling my tiny tired brain..

6) I guess I worded that poorly. I know I read somewhere a discussion of leaving an extra gate open but I can't recall where so I have no proof.  It wasn't anything Bill Pence like, it was on one of the forums but not WTO cause I searched there...so???   My table saw gate is open a lot of the time mostly because of me forgetting to close it mostly because of its location. :D   When I do forget I don't see a big difference of what I clean up at the end of the day off the floor.  This is all VERY unscientific. 

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus