Title of the document

Beautiful Bed Side Tables - G&G?/Asian Inspired

Thread transferred from previous forum - Original Post by Bushwacked

Original Post:

As goofy as he used to be in his videos when he first came out, he is still extremely talented in woodworking and I have really enjoyed his videos over the past year or so since he has toned it down a little bit.

Spending the past 5 years in Asia on work, I have gained a huge fondness for the asian inspired look and will be implementing it into my builds once I get my garage setup completed.

Just thought I would share ... 

Follow Up Posts:

1)  Very talented woodworker for sure.. Can't handle him when he opens his mouth...lol. He should also mature on finishing rather than rattle can lacquer tho.

2)  I can't stand him either, he should get someone to do a voiceover in all his videos. My problem with this piece is he is kinda killing the piece by mixing styles. I actually think the center stile isn't needed and confuses the piece. Now I will admit, I prefer more simple design.

3)  I liked his tools more than anything. The router bit used in the router table to make the grooves for the panels and the router plate used on his hand held router. Wonder where you can get one of those base plates? Thanks BW for sharing.

4)  It doesn't matter who the woodworker maybe but when they do the video in high speed they loose me as a viewer. I don't mind a touch of it here and there like when something requires a large number of clamps but when the majority of it is that way, I am done. And it is a shame because I enjoy watching different techniques for the same task even when its incorrect. :D

5)  Rocker, Woodcraft, etc..  All sell those clear base plates..

6)  Completely understand!  The issue becomes how to get the entire build in in YouTube time..  It's a dual edge sword..  You're supposed to keep the video length down but, if you don't show enough detail you get pounded in the comments.  I do agree that the fast frame stuff should be limited and it's certainly not my favorite thing to do.  I also understand it from the other side of the camera and YouTube comments.
Of course I say this as I'm gearing up to put out about 20 days or so of time lapsed video of an entire shop going up ;)

7)  Good to know. I have a universal round clear one but didn’t know they had the square ones. I can see where it would come in handy. 

8  I agree with kev it's a double edged sword. I'm sure he could of made this video into 4-5 easily smaller ones. But 10 mins tonget the full build in isn't too bad. Although I wish he would spend more time on certain techniques but it is his style.

It is kinda like Marc. To get good videos anymore you gotta buy his stuff. Which I understand but I haven't watched much of his stuff in a long long time because of it. Each person does what they feel will make them most viewers and $$$

9)  I agree as I was constantly starting and stopping and in doing so, was not able to keep up with where he was at in his progress. 

10)  I do understand the time issues and the comment thing but I watch to learn and at the high speed that just doesn't work with my older style of brain.  I am not saying it wrong it's just me.   I imagine that watching regularly eventually makes it easier to consume.
I know if you are a content producer you can't totally ignore the negative comments but to me they don't seem like actual woodworkers, just people that get their jolly crapping on others work.  
I will admit that even though his videos are not real instructional, when I just want to relax and watch something with out having to think about what is going on, I do enjoy watching Ishitani

11)  Speeding up of some tasks is ok in my book. For example if you watch someone a lot, let's say Kev. If he has shown the milling process and then speeds up through that part I'm good. I am not a big fan of trying to condense a long intricate build into 1 10-15 minute video. As for comments, I don't make them and I'm sure the majority are just trolling the maker. I have a feeling that is why a lot of people are going to IG, which doesn't seem to be as critical, I guess maybe cause you can't hide behind a screen name.

12)  I think there's a lot of truth in that!  I'm actually fortunate to have received mostly positive feedback but, I know the day is coming ;)