Title of the document

Figured Wood

Thread transferred from previous forum - Original Post by Woodenskye

Original Post:

My eye and taste is generally simple.  Awhile back someone posted a video by the samurai carpenter (felt mismatched joinery) and I follow certain people on IG.  One of them is Cremona, and he has been working on the sideboard project.  I like the design, but feel the heavy figure ruins the piece.  All the crotch figure is distracting and in my opinion ruins the piece.  D&W uses a lot of figure and in most cases I think it enhances a lot of the pieces they do, it seems to be more strategically thought out.  So what do you think, does figure help or hurt a design?  

Follow Up Posts:

1)  Very fair assessment IMO. There's a few things about Cremona's piece that I'm not a fan of. Too much figure and, the sap wood in the panels is upside down.
I think figure is important but, you can also take it too far. It has to be the right piece to take a lot of figure.

2)  I guess 1 of the places that to much figure is a no go in my opinion are drawer fronts and doors. They usually are the focal point of the piece and not the right place for overly figured wood.
Sometimes I wonder if people use to much figure as a way to hide something or make a shock and awe type statement. Tommy Mac once did a piece that had so much figure it looked horrible, but his skill makes me think of the shock and awe statement.

3)  I don't doubt his skill as a woodworker. Ultimately, it's a personal choice unless you're trying to stay true to what it's supposed to be. I guess you could say the same for the way he mounted the knobs.
Where I understand where you're going with all the figure, I guess I didn't like the sap wood in the top more than all the figure. Great conversation topic for sure!

4)  Guys, can you provide a link to Cremona’s  project?

5)  It's a Guild project Coop but, he's posted lots of pics on FB as well in the Guild group

6)  Coop, if you watch the first 2 minutes you can get an idea.

7)  I think this pic was public..  (see photo below)

8  I thought all along that he was using to much figured wood and he, at one point, had a live edge on the bottom apron but ended up removing it.  Over all I think the whole project has to much wide and wild grain.  The side and door panels may have survived had he used some nice tight grain for the legs, aprons and the stiles and rails.  But even at that it still wouldn't have been my cup of tea.  I think that because he mills all of his own lumber he wants to make his projects from the same log which is a good plan but to some degree you have to plan that when you mill the log to begin with you can't just slab it up because you won't have the grain for some parts that will add to the project in the proper way.
I had wondered if this would have worked better if the figured panels had been the secondary wood to something like cherry but over all I think it was just wrong for a shaker piece which are normally known for simple design and appearance.

9)  Chet, I tend to agree this is probably a major contributing factor, and maybe he needs to work with a pro sawyer to better understand how to saw for furniture projects.  I have watched almost all his sawmill videos, because I find it really cool, but he only seems to saw for crotch figure or large slabs, not taking into account sawing for furniture parts.  If he was using the crotch figure I'm not sure a different species would be better.  

I dont want it to seem I'm bashing Matt specifically, I have seen others.  With that said, I do like the overall design, but I really think figure should be used as an enhancement to the piece, like a specific hardware or in some cases exposed joinery.  

10)  Wow. Not an expert on design, shoot, not even a novice but there’s definately something to be desired. Myself, I like figure in a panel. I’m not even sure you can over do it. But the sap wood in his did it for me. It reminds me of a snapshot with a glare, x’s 6. I understand you can’t always use perfect heart lumber and he was understandably proud of his. Not to blow smoke but Kev’s hall table with a subtle bit of sap on the bottom of the apron gave it a soft rich look, like it belonged there.

11)  Although I agree that there was too much figure in his piece (which is a matter of personal choice), I took more issue with the sap wood being on the top of the panels. The panel look to have the grain going the wrong direction.

12)  I have 2 ea. 12” x 1” x 12’ long curly maple headed my way from Spanky. Although it’s some beautiful wood and I don’t have plans for it and I’m going to have to be darn selective where I use it. I’ll take pics when it gets here on Tuesday. I’m also getting 2 ea. 10” x 2.5” x 10 long qtr. sawn sycamore. I really like working with the sycamore but can’t get it here.

13)  I have some stuff like that in my shop as well Coop..  Waiting for just that "right" project.

14)  I may by the outcast on this but I prefer nice straightgrain wood an good clean design in a piece. My thinking is that it makes you focus on the craftsmanship an quality of the furniture instead of the allure amazing wild grain to draw you away. ( full disclosure) I haven’t gotten to the point yet to that I feel my craftsmanship is high enough to take center stage but it’s just what I strive for.

15)  I don’t disagree completely. But I do think some nice figure has it’s place. Take a pretty lady (no pun intended). She will always be pretty, even in a mud fight. My mind is beginning to get off course. But if that lady puts on a nice dress, necklace or ear rings, it just adds to the beauty. JMO