Title of the document

Media Options

Thread transferred from previous forum - Original Post by Kev

Original Post:

Obviously, the new shop is getting closer!  It's time to start considering media options.  I'm not going to run dish or cable out there but, I will have an internet hook up.
I would prefer not to create an extra monthly bill for any service but, am interested in the ideas and options available.
I want to run TV as well as radio.
I do pay for a sirus service for my truck, just not sure if this can be transferred to the shop?
Anyway, I'm interested in the responses as we get closer!

Follow Up Posts:

1)  In the early days of Sirus, which is saying I don't know if this still exists, my brother had service through them and at that time he had some kind of a do-hicky that plugged in at each location depending whether he was in his house, car or office and it had to be plugged into the device that he was using at the time. It cost more then a single subscription but less then a subscription for each location.

I just use pandora in the shop on a Bose dock,  I have a Dewalt radio for listening to Baseball games.  I would like to have a TV out in the shop for college football on Saturdays but haven't done that for two reasons, its only 14 weeks a year and I haven't decided if having a TV on in the back ground would be an (unsafe) visual distraction. So it will probably never happen.

2)  I will have a TV in the shop but, I don't typically have shows on that I have to "watch" to know what's going on. It's really no different than listening to an audio book or something of that nature. I will put a sporting event on where I may peek at the score now and then. If I find myself watching something, I'll usually stop the woodworking and watch.
As for the radio, I really only get one station here. It's pretty good so, I don't normally mind it but, it would be nice to get the baseball games on there or, occasionally get a different station. Especially on Sunday's when the local station plays the Beatles all morning. I can handle them in small doses but, not hours on end!

3)  I think Sirius has something where you can link between car, home and devices. I don't know if you need other equipment. Internet and computer should allow you to stream most of what you want. I really only like listening to music when in the shop.

4)  you could always do chromecase or fire stick or apple tv ... whatever your tied to. Then you could just stream from your phone whatever you want. Youtube has a new live tv feature, but have not researched that to see if it is worth it.
If you have ESPN on your TV provider already you can stream games and stuff from their app as well.

5) I'm actually looking into some of those options as (of all places) Walmart has amazing prices on TVs right now!
Internet will be put in the new shop on Tuesday.