Title of the document

Dado Stack .... Which one?

Chet

Submitted on the old forum by bushwacked

Curious what y'all use ... 

I need an 8" for my sawstop and I know Forrest is out there but what about Amana, Tenryu  or Freud? 

Thoughts?

Follow up posts

1) I have the Forest and love it but, I'm sure any of the majors would serve you well.

My "add" to this thread is just something else to think about...

A couple table saws ago, I was given a Diablo stack that wouldn't actually fit onto my saw even though my saw had a 5/8" arbor and the stack was for a 5/8" arbor..  I hung onto the stack knowing that I was going to replace the saw.  Well, the new saw came (0715P) and the Diablo didn't fit that saw either..  Both saws had a 5/8" arbor, the stack was for a 5/8" arbor but, the stack didn't fit.  Chalking it up to the stack at this point, I pried open the wallet and bought the Forest.  You guessed it, the Forest didn't fit either..  After getting the calipers out and actually measuring the arbor as well as the arbor hole in the stack, I returned to the store I bought the stack from (Grizzly) and told them it didn't fit the saw they sold me.  They looked at me like I was nuts!  I showed them my actual measurements and they were a little stunned.  They had about 6 more Forest stacks in stock and brought them all out.  Sure enough, each arbor hole was just a little different.  They then measured several saws they had in the store only to find that each arbor was slightly different as well.

Sorry for the long story but, it's something you need to think about when spending that kind of money on a stack!  I ended up with a Forest stack that fit that saw and I feel even more lucky that the stack fit the 2 subsequent PM table saws.  I was lucky that I was able to purchase that stack locally and go through this process to get a stack that worked..  This could have been a nightmare if the purchase was mail order..

2) Haha. Well that is crazy!! I never would have thought that would be an issue.

3) Yea, I certainly didn't when I bought 2 separate stacks!

4) I have the 6” Freud stack an have no complaints. I went with 6” due to having a 1.75 hp saw and I seen a comment one time that said “why do I need a 8” stack when a 6 will do I’ve never needed more than a 1” of the blade sticking up”. I thought about it an it made sense to me. I don’t have a sawstop you may have to have the 8 for the brake to work correctly. But I know price between a 6” an 8” is $50 or more

5)  This is a awesome point!  Although I have an 8" stack, I can't think of a single time using my stack where a 6" wouldn't have gotten the job done.

6) I think for the sawstop, 6" would be fine, but just wouldnt be able to use the safety feature. Which is fine if I need to, I grew up on saws without so its nothing new for me.

Looking around, this seems to be a solid list of stacks sawstop tech support recommended about a year ago ...

•Forrest Dado King DK0824XXX (5/8” arbor)
•DeWalt DW7670 8” Dado Stack
•Freud SD208S 8” Dado Stack (NEW, March 2017)
•Tenryu GMD-20340
•King Canada KSC-8000
•Amana 658040
service@sawstop.com 1 (503) 582-9934

Certain types of blades are not recommended for SawStop saws as outlined
below:
1.Blades with “shoulders” should not be used on any SawStop saw.
2.Wobble dado blades should not be used on any SawStop saw.
3.Full plate dado chippers should not be used on any SawStop saw.
4.Dado blades over 8 1/16 inch diameter should not be used on any SawStop
Jobsite Saw.

Keep in mind that you also do not want to go over 13/16” on the thickness
of a dado set. The 8” dado brake cartridge is not designed to stop dado
stacks thicker than 13/16” and a serious injury may result.

7) 1.Blades with “shoulders” should not be used on any SawStop saw.[b
Dumb question what does it mean by shoulder?

8 ) From what I can find ... the "shoulders" are built in for anti kickback apparently .. and the pic below is what was with that section I found.

9) I gotcha mine 6” Freud stack has them. So there goes that

10) I think the Forest, Tenryu, and Freud are your best bets but, the Amana isn't exactly a distant 4th on the list..

The Dewalt is not known as a good blade for what we do and I've never heard of the King..

11) Ya I really want to try out the Tenryu since I have always heard good things about their blades ... Figure this might be the chance and the price is very reasonable as well.

12) I have this set-

www.amazon.com/Freud-Super-Dado-Sets-SD508/dp/B00004RK0P

Which is interesting because at the I purchased my saw this is one of the ones that SawStop recommended when I talked to them.

13) Great price there! How do you like it?

14) I have been happy with them.  I have had them since I got the saw in 2014 and haven't had to sharpen them yet... getting close but keeping them clean really helps.

15) Another option to muddy the waters. I have always been happy with infinity blades.  

www.infinitytools.com/saw-blades-accessories/table-saw/table-saw-blades/dado-saw-blades/dadonator-stacked-dado-blade-set-with-5-8-bore

16) yes I have heard great things about them as well ... however, sadly, that stack is not recommended by Sawstop ... I think it was one of the ones listed that had that shoulder thing they warned about.

17) I have a similar set but my chippers are 2 teeth. Think I paid like $90 for it. Don’t have any complaints with it. If I were in the market and if the kids didn’t use all my money up Forrest would be my choice. 

18) My stack finally screamed at me on my current project that it was time for sharpening! Because I just can't afford to be down, I ordered another today so that when one is out being sharpened I have another on hand. I'd forgotten how expensive it was and nearly choked on the 3 hundred plus price tag! Forest for the record..

19) Yeah they are spendy. But so worth it. Stay sharp for a very long time. Are you going to send your dull set back to Forrest to sharpen?

20) soooo I have been thinking .. between frued and forrest .... what is the actual difference? 

Would it be...
Cut Quality
price, obviously 
usage before sharpening
ease of getting the correct widths
quality of blades

Is there 2 times the price difference in any of that? Am I missing something?

thoughts?

21) I just like the color red ?. That an nearly half the price for close to the same performance from what I’ve read no personal use of any Forrest products.

22) I'm sure the Freud will work fine.. One of the things that I do like about the Forest is the sharpening service though.

23) sounds good, I will go with the freud and see how that goes ... maybe once I dull these I will look into something more if I am not liking them.

24) I have a couple diamond flat diamond paddles I’ll use to touch up the carbide after cleaning sometime

25) so I noticed the frued that was recommended wouldnt get here until late next week. I said screw it, it is Christmas and I have been a good boy and my new Forrest stack will be here tonight before 10pm haha

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus