Title of the document

Euro Hinge Jig ... options/thoughts?

Chet

Submitted on the old forum by bushwacked

Looking into jigs and options now so I can test out and get some work on them done before I start doing some cabinet remodeling in the kitchen and then slowly throughout several other rooms.

I have used the drill press and free handed in the past ... however since I will have quite a bit coming in the future, I figure I would take a look and see what is out there and see if anything is worth it to save some time in this process.

I am looking into the Kreg and Rockler jigs and a few others, I am liking the Rockler jig as I can set both up in 1 go, but not sure that justifies the 3ish times price of the Kreg. Does anyone have any specific experience with anything they liked doing/using?

Follow up posts

1) This is the one that I use..  It's pricy but, I absolutely love it!  Same one that was used in the bathroom vanity build as well as the upcoming mud sink vanity build..  Hell, I used it for the miter station too...
www.amazon.com/35MM-Euro-Hinge-Drilling-Jig/dp/B00EZOWG1I/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=hettich+jig&qid=1577845430&sr=8-1

2) Dang! Were not kidding on the price

How do you reference it on how far down you want it? Does not look like there are stops or anything to help quickly setup it up repeatably each time for that? Do you have to clamp it down each time to drill the holes or just hold it and it is fine?

3) It works off of center lines so, I usually just set a square to my measurement for center and strike a line.  However, from the end of the jig to dead center is exactly 6 inches..

As for clamping, that's built in to the jig.  Slide it on and twist the knob.

If it has a downside, it doesn't clear chips very well so, you have to clean them out after each hole.  The bright side of that is that you can usually do it over a garbage can and spare yourself some clean up..

4) sounds pretty good. Since Wood brought it up below ... I thought you had the LR32 system, no?

How easy is it to setup on smaller doors and stuff? I like the LR32, but for this I have heard it is a little more work for this ... kinda clunky

5) I don't have the LR32 set up.. If I were building much more cabinets than I do, it's probably the best system out there.

6) Honestly if you don't use it a lot it can be a pain to remember set up.  Plus using metric really helps.  If your just doing doors, Kevs jig is probably a lot better solution.  Plus you can save yourself a couple hundred.  If you aren't invested in FT, then I would find an alternative.  I bought used from a cabinet shop in MI for a really good price. I'm thinking of trying to sell to help finance something else.

7) Well the LR32 is on the list as I will be building at least 3 closets, maybe 4 in the coming year or so. 2 for the kids and our master bath remodel. Then after that working on redoing my kitchen cabinets from scratch as well. So I have quite a bit of doors and shelf holes to be drilling haha.

8 ) I have the kreg door hinge guide. Used it a few times and have had zero issues. At its price point does exactly what it should. Easy to adjust.

9) I have the kreg door hinge jig also and it works well. If I was planning on doing a couple rooms and a kitchen cabinet remodel, I would probably invest in something stronger, but for the low cost, I don't think anything is better.

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus