Title of the document

FORMAT 4 - SLIDY SAW

Chet

Submitted on the old forum by Puka

So anyway after my recent narrow escape from loosing more than just a small chunk. I went back to my panel saw supplier and asked them what the price was on this saw because it punches all my buttons for what I need in a slidy panel saw. I also asked if it could be fitted with that instant blade stop safety device that detects when a body part makes contact with the blade and stops it dead. I've watched the video numerous times of it being demonstrated with a sausage. In my books if you want to sell this sort of thing and have peeps really believe then they should be using their finger, not dead meat.
Hammer K3.JPG

They said no the safety device could only be fitted to Format 4 - Commercial 

SAFETY SAW.JPG
I didn't bother asking the price of the Format 4, because the current X-Mass Price for the Hammer K3 above is about $10,000 NZ, which is more in my price range than the monstrosity below it. I'm also pretty sure that I'd need to build a new   shed as well that would be large enough to cover the blue beast.

My current heap of Bull Puky below...

SA250STE.JPG

Does a whole lot less in the cutting capacity than i was first led to believe and which made my decision to buy it. Supposedly the sliding cross cut capacity was over a metre (1.4m) but its like about 1m at the most. A competitors machine was supposedly about 1250mm. But like a few things I didn't notice when I examined it on the shop floor I didn't find out about until I put it together at home and started to use it.  Thank the gods that we have INCRA...!

That orange safety thing above the blade just doesn't even go on the knife behind the blade. And that silly little 1 inch suction pipe is a joke. I could go on. I've left a lot of parts off it as they were crap, had to much play in them or were just down right TOO inferior for my OCD to handle. Even the cast iron bench extension had a bow in it or about a half mill. 

So anyway I'm seriously looking at the K3 now. 

Anyone want a slightly bloody SA250STE ?  

Follow up post

1) The Format 4 stuff is super nice as it's the upper end of the Felder line. If you have the budget for it, it's a great machine. I'm not sure if the Saw Stop is available to you? It has the flesh sensing technology but, isn't a slider. I know some countries don't allow the use of dado stacks and wasn't sure if that would effect you..

2) What in the world? Why would some countries block the use of dado stacks?

3)  They consider them dangerous I guess..  I believe the UK doesn't allow them..

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus