Title of the document

Milwaukee 4 in 1 Drill

Chet

Submitted on the old forum by bushwacked

I am thinking about possibly picking one of these up with an HD gift card I still have not used for my b-day. Been wanting one like it for awhile but never wanted to pay the festool money ... thought on this one? Even though my shop is Makita, I would be willing to go dual batteries for this one. I dont see anything in the Makita roadmap for their version of this one. Bosch is the only other one I have seen come out with it, but between Bosch and Milwaukee, I would go the latter. 

I also thought I saw that festool attachments would work for this as well, if ever needed ... need to dig up where I saw that though just to make sure I am not crazy  

2505-20_Kit_1.png?mw=461&mh=422&hash=853

Follow up post

1) I have the Festool version and it's nice but, way over priced and I'd never buy it again.  The only time I use it is for those rare occasions when I want the 90 degree attachment.  The rest of the time, I run my Dewalts.

Now, with that said, if I were starting over today, I'd probably go Milwaukee.  I just think they're a little better quality tool.  I would also have to look strongly at the Rigid because of the lifetime warranty.  Under their warranty, if they discontinue a tool that you own and that tool breaks, if they can't fix it, they'll replace it with the upgraded model.  I know that Rigid isn't considered "top of the line" stuff but, with a warranty like that I think I'd be willing to take some chances.

Now, just a brief note on my Dewalts..  I'm noticing the chuck starting to go on one of the drills.  It's the oldest on in the bunch and I've run them for quite a few years without issue.  I've moved that drill to the 'reserve' position and am waiting for one of the other chucks to start to go.  If, by the end of the year, they're all still holding up well then I'll just replace the one drill in kind staying with Dewalt.  If I get a couple more starting to go, I may make the switch to another brand and then really dig into the weeds on Milwaukee or Rigid.

2) I have the festool and really like it, but I doubt I will ever buy another festool drill. I know Kyle at RR Buildings did a review of this on his YT channel.

3) Ya to me Milwaukee always seems to come out with the new stuff first. 

Rigid has a hell of a warranty and seem to be making more quality stuff in the past few years as well. 

If I was in the market for a brand swap I'd definitely give rigid a hard look as well. If they had the 4 in 1 I'd probably go with them on this purchase just for the warranty.

4) Just make sure to look in to the Ridgid warranty before going that route. I was thinking of getting some and reading reviews of it taking weeks to months to get their tool back from being repaired or replaced. Some said Home Depot just replaced their tool right then. Not sure I would want to wait weeks when I was probably in the middle of something when it broke.

5) Just watched his quick review ... Seemed to be pretty positive overall. For what I'm thinking of using it for it seemed to check most the boxes as well

6) Very good point!  In my case, there's a local guy you can take the stuff to and he deals with the company for you.  Still, no money out of your pocket.  I also don't know what his turnaround time for these tools is, it could still very well be a long time.

7) Oh very interesting on the wait ... Although free is free and I would assume in major use items I'd have at least 2 of. IE drills.... Curious what from their line would break and I'd be hoses having to wait a month on

8 ) Pick any tool in their line but, it would be the same regardless of tool brand.  When you're down, you're down. 

9) Hmmmm. Maybe I'm just not bought as much as most to these systems?? 

I have 2 drills and 1 impact
Tracksaw and tablesaw
2 shopvacs
Angle grinder 
Mobile light
Sawzall

So if I am down a tool I have a backup for everything but the grinder and sawzall even though it may be a little slower. 

So maybe I'm just not invested enough to where it hurts me as bad as most?? So if one went down I'd still be ok for the most part ... At least I think hahah. Haven't had an issue mid project yet at least from the above tools

10) The only battery tools I run are the drills, impact, and angle grinder.  Everything else is corded.  

I typically run 4 drills and one impact.  I have a 5th battery drill, the Festool one mentioned above.

I have a corded angle grinder if the battery one poops.

So, would I ever really be "down", no.  But, the point is that if you're taking something for repair, I don't think it matters which brand you choose, they'll all probably be similar in turnaround time to get the tool back.  I just don't know that Rigid would be any worse than Milwaukee?  But, I haven't dealt with them so, don't have any first hand knowledge.

11) I have the Milwaukee m12 drill and impact both fuel versions and I’ve had no issues in the 5 years I’ve had them. I’ve pretty much have abused the impact by building a couple decks with it. Also have the 12v hacksaw, cutoff tool, stapler, vacuum and light. No issues at all with any off them. Recently I bought the m18 drill and impact both are brushless. Only reason I did that is I got a deal on them at hd. Also been wanting to jump to the 18v for the tool options. Also picked up the 7 1/4 circular saw to use for cross cutting sheet goods. Have not been happy with that tool as it just seems under powered. Maybe it’s the 60 tooth blade in it but even spinning empty just seems weak. 

If I had to start over I’d not shy away from ridgid just for the warranty. Don’t like the weight of their tools though. Have grabbed their drills in the stores a few times and feels like you are holding a brick.

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus