Title of the document

Band Saw Blade Guides

Chet

Submitted on the old forum by Coop

I have a Grizz G0555X bandsaw and one of the screws that tightens the bearing adjustments is stripped. It locks the bearings that ride on the side of the blade in place. Actually the aluminum block that the screw threads into is stripped. Should I order a replacement part from Grizzly or are there better after market replacement guides available? 

Follow up posts

1) If I needed to replace the guides on either of my bandsaws, I think I'd be looking at Carter for new ones. Certainly nothing wrong with replacing with the stock stuff, they obviously worked for quite some time for you.

2) I really like my Carter guides. Pretty easy to change out. They do have great customer service if you need to call them for help.

3) Thanks guys. I’ll give the Carter guides a look.

4) Kev and Kent, looking at the Carter bearings, they do not come with a lower thrust bearing from what I can tell. Do y’alls Have them?

5) Sorry to say that I can't offer a personal experience..  I only know that they come highly recommended and they would be my first look if I were replacing mine..

6) Thanks. They are about $50 more than the Grizz guides but you never hear anyone bragging about how good their Grizz guides are   ! I’ll give Carter a call tomorrow for the scoop. Also, on Carters thrust bearing, the outside edge of the bearing rides against the blade instead of the face of it which makes sense. 

7) I was wondering about the lower “thrust bearing” that rides against or close to the back of the blade. The illustration does not show it but customer service this morning said that it does. Got it ordered. Thanks

8 ) The new retrofit guides from Carter came in today and I was amazed at the weight when I picked up the box and even more so when I saw the construction and mass of these things. I was a little disappointed with the instructions as they are mostly pics and they leave a lot to be desired but will probably be more simplistic as I start the assembly tomorrow. We’ll see.

9) Don't forget that you can give them a call if you need help.

10) Either I’m a complete DA or I got the only bad piece they ever produced. Unfortunately they are on the east coast and I’m an hour behind them. Something ain’t right and I’ll have to wait until Monday to find out. 1000 to 1 they’ll make it right.

11) I just spoke with Mr. Perez, the owner of Carter Products. He explained that the lines were all lit up and he actually answered the phone. He also explained that the Grizz bs is not the easiest to fit but that there is a part that will remedy my problem. The new part will go out today at no charge. Super nice guy and great customer service. A review of the new guides to follow.

12) Coop, hopefully smooth sailing once the part comes in. What's the part?

13) He called it the bracket. The cap looking part that fits over the bottom of the round vertical bar. Thru it, fits the horizontal bar that the upper guides attach to. The hole drilled in this bracket was offset and the thrust bearing was not lined up with the blade.

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus