Title of the document

router lifts / router table

Chet

Submitted on the old forum by bushwacked

Do any of yall use any of the big brand lifts?

woodworkingtoolkit.com/best-router-lift-reviews/
After looking that over, Kreg made the list and seems to make most lists. Curious if anyone has any experience with any of them? Looking to add one to my tablesaw wing possibly as an upgrade for christmas ....

Right now I built a plywood box that holds my router and any adjustments come from the router itself working with the adjustment on there. Works pretty good, but I have to clear off table space to put it on there and use it. Also, no dust collection either so it makes a crazy mess.

Or maybe just go with a table, like you use Kev ... 
www.amazon.com/Kreg-KRS1035-Router-Table-Stand/dp/B00WMLYRW2/ref=bdl_pop_ttl_B00WMLYRW2

or build a cabinet that the top of it would hold the lift inside it? Then it would make for some router storage as well ? 

thoughts?

Follow up posts

1) I have the Incra table with the LS super system fence and the Incra lift which is actually made by Jessum so I would guess it is similar to the Jessum lifts. I am real happy with everything but it was a little pricey and because of the fence system it has a fairly large footprint. With the exception of pattern routing the dust collection is excellent.

2) I've added a link below to the exact table that I have.

I'll also say that I've used Chet's table and I can attest to how good that fence system is! It's only drawback IMO is the overall size of it.

What I like about my table is the adjustment wheel on the side. I don't need an extra tool to raise and lower the lift when I need to. What I don't like about my table is the fence.

So, to sum it up... If I could have my lift and Chet's fence, combined with the PC7518 router, I think that would be an absolute perfect router table!

www.amazon.com/JESSEM-Mast-R-Lift-Included-Complete-Router/dp/B0074HJ3WI/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=jessem+router+table&qid=1562269281&s=hi&sr=1-3

3) Wow that incra fence is a big contraption. How long did setup take? 

That table with the side wheel turn does look awesome ...

4) Incra took no time at all to set up. The top comes all pre-drilled for everything, Its a matter of putting the top on the stand and then dropping four bolts through the holes and tightening them up. I don't know maybe 90 minutes. I took the most time to put the stand together. Incra really has their stuff figured out there was no tuning up to do to get it to work right. But like I said it is a touch pricy. The stand and wheel assembly, the top, the lift, dust collection chute, the fence assembly and the PC 8517 motor was around $1500 but I don't regret it at all.

5) Not to highjack this but I find that a good bit of my router table work involves cutting grooves in wood, whether hard or ply. Now kind of back to op’s question. What kind of dc will collect the dust/chips in this operation? 
BW, my current and future lift is manually from the underside of the table at the router itself and am completely satisfied with it. I’ll invest money elsewhere.

6) I personally don't think any of them do a good job collecting dust on the cuts you describe.  The nature of the cuts directs the dust away from the dust collection even when you're collecting under the table as well as at the fence.

As for the lift, once you step into it, you won't be disappointed!  There are so many reasonably priced options out there now that it's just not that expensive to get into.  Hmm...  Maybe I need to send you one for Christmas

7) So doing more digging ... how much power do you need from the router? Mainly because the Jessem has 2 models and it looks like the big difference is size in the motors. 

cheaper one can hold 2 1/4 HP motors and the more expensive one holds the 3 1/4 motors... 

Is it $140 difference and a needed thing to have 3 1/4 motors in there?

8 ) Completely depends on your use.  I chose to go big so that I never had to be concerned with it in the future.  I currently have a huge panel bit in my router right now for the lids on the urns and I'm not sure I'd want to do that with the smaller router.

With that said, I'll also say that 95% of the time, you're fine with the smaller router in your table.  I'd be willing to bet that's what a majority of people are running.

I'm running the PC7518 in my table.  I know that there are others running different 3.25hp routers.  Keep in mind that when you buy the router for your table, you don't have to buy the whole thing..  Most will sell just the motor without the base so, that will save you a few bucks as well. 

9) ==> I'm running the PC7518 in my table.

I am running the same thing and like Kev mentioned you don't need it all the time but when you do you will be glad you spent the extra money and you won't want for more.

I also bought just the motor.

10) I can see this being another rabbit hole but most have been an adventure that I have enjoyed and benefited from. Glad this topic came up.

11) This one isn't nearly the rabbit hole as some of the others in this hobby!  

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus