Title of the document

Commissions and Speculative tool purchases

Thread transferred from previous forum - Original Post by Woodenskye

Original Post:

Would you invest the money in buying a specific router bit for a potential commission, in order for the person to decide if that is the joint they want to go with?  The price of the bit, specifically a lock miter, isn't a huge cost, but if isn't used again is sort of a waste of $50-100.  

Follow Up Posts:

1)  If the commission was a sure thing, I would.  I would also bump my markup a little to help cover the cost.  I certainly wouldn't buy the bit until the ink was dry on the contract.

2)  Thanks. I am extremely confident I will get, just don't want to throw money away on a potentially 1 time use item.  I have already factored tool maintenance (sharpening/replacement) and shop supplies in my price, but not acquisition costs, cause I have everything I need except this particular bit, and it really is the 1 I don't have in my collection.  

3)  There is a possibility that you could use it on another project so, you can't charge them for the tool IMO.  However, adding a little to the final bill to help cover that cost is certainly fair play.
There's also a potential that you use it on this project and decide you like it.  If not, you could also offer it up for sale and move it on to someone else.

4)  I wouldn't charge them for the tool.  This whole topic is more convincing myself that even if I use once, it is what is needed.  I'm just trying to be a bit smarter.

5)  Totally understand..  I have the matched radius set for the Maloof rocker that's only been used once..  I may use it again one day.  I also have the tenon cutters from that very same project, only used once.  There was also a specialty drill bit for that project that I refused to use even once and, yet I still have it.  So, yea, I get it..

6)  Ok, wait a minute. I just bought that bit as well as the router bits for the same project. Why didn’t you use it?

7)  I assume you're referring to the stepped drill bit?  It sucks!  It leaves the hole too big for standard plug cutters.  That drill bit is designed for some weird stepped dowel insert thingy and it's bigger than standard plugs..  
I was fortunate that I used it first on a test piece and checked everything out.  I ended up using a long pilot drill and then just coming back with a normal bit of proper size to cut the recess for the plugs.
The router bits are great!  They're just not something that I use every day.  Especially considering they're a matched set..  I'd hate to wear out the round over bit and not have them useful together in the future.

8  Glad you mentioned this before I used it. I did make the first initial drill thru the legs but have not gotten to the countersink portion. That’s another $16 I could have used at Starbucks, not! Yeah, the router bits are another one time tool.