Title of the document

Misleading YouTube Videos

Thread transferred from previous forum - Original Post by Jamie

Original Post:

Ok I need to rant. I see way to many videos out there that claim diy and simple to build. Problem is in most of the videos there is no consideration for expansion. Am disgusted by the advice you could call it that floods the video world. Just watched a guy build a table from dimensional lumber that he glued and screwed to a sheet of plywood on the bottom. Then edge branded the whole top with glue on the end grain and held it all together with 8 in screws. I’d love to see that table in a few months to see if it completely exploded or if it has made its way to the backyard campfire.

Sorry has to get it off my mind. My wife is sick of hearing about it. Just glad guys like Kev put the high quality videos out that you can actually learn from.

Follow Up Posts:

1)  Yep, certainly plenty of that garbage out there..  

Unfortunately, it's the age we live in where everyone thinks they're going to get rich putting out crappy YT videos.  There's no "minimum standard" for creating "instructional" videos.  Anyone with a phone can make them.  I've unsubscribed from many channels either because they make these kinds of videos or have no consistency to their releases.  The other ones that bug me are the ones who market themselves well and are overloaded with paid advertisements, these really get on my nerves!

I appreciate the kind words but, I make plenty of mistakes.  I try to call myself out when I do but, sometimes you guys see things I don't.  Frankly, that's why I really struggled with the glove caddy video!  I really didn't think that was up to my standards for content production.

2)  I agree some video makers can really sell themselves to company’s to make a buck or get a free bed. What does a bed that comes rolled up have to do with woodworking?
As woodworkers we all make mistakes but I think the best woodworkers know how to cover them up. In all my years of making dust I’ve never made the perfect project, I can always see flaws of my own that the average eye will never see.
As far as video production goes I’m completely blind to it. Hell I just figured parts of Snapchat out last week. My 6 year old had to show me. She is pushing me to make a video but I wouldn’t know where to start.