Title of the document

Bandsaws one last time, but new twist

Chet

Submitted on the old forum by bushwacked

So between Amazon 5% back and my Citi double cash back card. I have saved $2k in cash back between then 2. 

So I could basically get any of the below since they are all in my price range free to sub 1k ... I'm looking to buy once and get something that solid right out of the box. Yes I know Kev you have not had the greatest experience with PM but the service people seemed good. Even though it was slow. 

rikon 18" for free 
RIKON Power Tools 10-342 18" Bandsaw www.amazon.com/dp/B01D35Z3KU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_nRobDbEFH3D1H

PM1500 for like $700
Powermatic PM1500 1791500 BandSaw www.amazon.com/dp/B00A86U254/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_-MobDbYAPARC7

Jet 15 for free
JET JWBS-15-3 3 hp Bandsaw www.amazon.com/dp/B01HZHAH08/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_xSobDbQ1Z89VB

I know I could go cheaper and buy other tools as well. However there's not anything else big I need to buy and this would round out the shop. So trying to buy once cry once. 

Thoughts?

Follow up posts

1) I would get the rikon 10-346. It is at the top of your budget, but has more hp and larger resaw.

2) Well my budget was $1500ish. But I've waited so long that all my rewards added up to more than I saved so if I wanted to go crazy my budget would be $3500... Which I'm not gonna go that crazy haha. 

So anything on the list is well within my budget.

3) Just noticed this was a diff model # than I had listed haha. I read this a few times and then went and validated my links above and was so confused ... Then I saw the difference  that looks pretty beastly too!! 

One other thing. It needs to be available on Amazon so I can get my $700 cash back from there.

4) Even though I've had bad luck with PM, that would probably still be my choice on your list. However, I will never buy another PM product that I can't put my hands on first to ensure it's right.

5) Drew, did you think of looking at any of the Laguna band saws. I have had the 1412 for about 7 years with absolutely no complaints. With your budget you could look at some of the bigger models. I know a few people that have the bigger ones and they sound like a great saw. I have head a couple of complaints about their customer service but I haven't had a single problem with my saw so I can't speak to that.

6) I was seriously considering the Laguna 18bx but they stopped selling it on Amazon for some reason. Maybe it will pop up later? But I have not seen it in several months on there. 

7) I completely like my Grizz 14” and at my age, it will probably be the one the kids sell. But if I were younger and with your budget, I would select the Rikon.

8 ) Rikon because it's higher capacity to resaw or the difference in PM and rikon are almost negligible ?

9) Best thing to do bud is to put your hands on both of them.  That's hard with PM since most of their dealers don't carry any stock.

I'd check the magazine circuit to see if there's a comparison or hit YouTube and start watching the reviews.

10) If you have a Woodcraft that ou can get to, you might check here. They carry a lot of Rikon stuff and the on Powermatic tool I see all the time in the Woodcraft here is the their bandsaws.

11) Both but mainly due to the fact that my brother has the Rikon and swears by it. I have no experience with the PM. 

12) Ya I've looked for a PM1500 at stores online from Austin to OK city and nothing. Also I don't think I've ever seen anything bigger than the 14" ish bandsaws in any store. So don't think I'll get to play with the 18" rikon. I can find both their smaller models in store but not sure how helpful that is.

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus