Title of the document

ETS 150

Chet

Submitted on the old forum by Coop

I’ve had this sander for a year or so and really like it. It came with a “hard pad” and I accepted it as the norm. I am in the process of building the Maloof Low Back Chair” and Kev suggested using the soft pad as part of the sculpting and sent me his, never been used. The pad is very flexible and has been a pleasure to use. My question to those that have used both hard and soft, why would you ever use the hard pad? Now, I haven’t used the soft pad on flat surfaces so maybe, that’s where the hard pad excels? 

Follow up posts

1) I really thing there is a purpose for both. The soft would be great for what you are going to do with the sculpting but I wouldn't want to use a soft if I was going to sand a top surface like a dining room table, then you want the hard one. With the soft on a table top every time you got anywhere near the edge, you would be putting an unwanted round over. I do a lot of sanding before glue up and the hard pad is the only way to go in my opinion for things like this, just to big of a chance of wrecking you flat surfaces if you us a soft pad. Of course this is just the way I feel about it.

2) That was kind of the answer I was expecting. Thanks Chet!

3) Yea, the soft pad wouldn't be good around edges that you didn't want rounded over. Great for what you're doing though.

Glad the pad worked out for you!

4) Chet summed it up perfectly

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus