Title of the document

Stuck router bit

Chet

Submitted on the old forum by woodenskye

I have a Bosch 1617 router and for the life of me I can't get the bit out.  I have no problem loosening the collet, but it won't come off.  I have shot the collet and bit with WD40, liquid wrench, struck the shaft with the collet wrench and nothing.  I have also tried heating the nut and bit, but nothing.  Any suggestions?  I don't care if I have to destroy the bit, I have other round over bits.  

Follow up posts

1) I had that happen with the same router as yours. I went at it the same way you are thinking,  I may destroy the bit. After loosening the collet all the way, I wrapped a little bit if tee shirt around the lower part of the bit, still kind of hoping to save the bit, put the wrench on the lower part of the shaft and using some good channel locks, twisted the bit the same as if you were trying to loosen the collet itself. It ended up being a knuckle buster but it came out undamaged.  I was prepared to go at it with out the tee shirt scrap if it didn't work but I got lucky and didn't have to go nuclear on it.

I read somewhere that this mainly happens if you get the bit all the way down in the shaft. Now I put the bit in, snug up the collet just enough to hold it in place, then I pull the bit up a smidge and them tighten it the rest of the way.

Let us know what happens.

2) I always put the bit in all the way, then pull the bit up about 1/16" and tighten.  

3) I tend to lift mine out a little further but, I don't know that's the issue.  I'm probably closer to 1/4".  I also run 1/2" shaft almost exclusively now tho as well.  I'd bury 1/4" shaft a little deeper.

4) Take a pair of Visegrips and hold the bit real tight and turn the router on. No, just kidding, seriously, just kidding. So obviously it’s not a straight cutting bit that you can slip the collet over and remove the collet completely? If the bit has a bearing guide, remove it and try tapping down on the bit to perhaps dislodge it. I would imagine by now, you’re trying to salvage the router and the heck with the bit if that’s what it takes? 

5) Chet, give yourself a pat on the back, your method worked. Thanks. The bit hit the floor when I was getting it free and chipped the cutting edges really bad, but wasn't counting on it making it through.

6) Great news Bryan! I’ve been using two of the foam space balls down into the shaft of the router so I don’t have to worry about pulling the bit back out a tad. Glad you got it resolved.

7) Great news Bryan! I’ve been using two of the foam space balls down into the shaft of the router so I don’t have to worry about pulling the bit back out a tad. Glad you got it resolved.

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus