Title of the document

Desk Build Question

Thread transferred from previous forum - Original Post by Bushwacked

Original Post:

Hoping after a long break in being able to build anything I may be getting a chance in a week to start my office desk ...

I really like this design but a couple questions ...

When he's making the under cut with the router ... Is that just a rabbeting bit? @4:40

Not having a front brace on the desk... Does that hurt the strength of the desk any?

How do you think the drawers are attached? The back looked to be dominoed into the back brace and then what? A small strip glued to top and then the outside of the drawer to hold it there?

(see photos below)

Follow Up Posts:

1) As for the drawer question, Andy Rawls in his most recent project (Part 2) about mounting drawers when no apron or carcass. I actually think it was really creative.

2)  Cool, a dovetail into the top ... Makes perfect sense! Seems like a great way to go with this.
Now the rest of his drawer construction I don't think I'll be partaking in that was a bit over my level haha. 

3)  Give it a try, if you screw it up, you could always do another way.  If I remember correctly it was dovetail in the back and a sliding dovetail into the drawer front. 

4)  I had never heard of Andy Rawls. Fellow Texan! Thanks

5)  I’ve been watching some of his YouTube channel. He does good solid work. An has some very nice vintage tools

6)  Couple of questions from the video. His brass inlay: 1) there’s a frame where he used a lighter wood, what was that all about. 2) He fitted the inlay into the wood to be used. How did he get it out to finish the wood? It was proud of the wood and used needle nose? 3) Was the finished inlay proud of the surface?

Screenshot-20191206-172545-You-Tube.jpg

Screenshot-20191206-183200-You-Tube.jpg