Title of the document

Down the Road

Thread transferred from previous forum - Original Post by Chet

Original Post:

This is the first year where starting the year, I have a list of projects that I want to do.  The first couple will be for the shop.  I want to remake my clamp rack with a little bit of a cant to it.  I need to make it so the back of the clamp head sits a little lower then the front so they don't tend to slide off and fall the present rack I made at a perfect 90 degrees and mounted it to a wall that, turns out, is a half bubble off plumb.  And there are some other adjustments I would like to make to the rack.  Then I want to redo the under saw storage.  I have worked with the set up I have for a few years and have decided to change some things around.

After this I want to make this Gustav Stickley shelf unit pictured below, maybe even make two.  He actually designed this in 1905 as a do it yourself project for people.  Popular woodworking has published it a few times and I have to laugh because they say it is an advanced project.  I think I could do this in a hand full of days and I by no means am an advanced woodworker. ::)

(1st Photo)

After that We are going to redo the kitchen - dining area of our house.  I built the cabinets quite a while a go and they are ir real good shape but we want to reconfigure some with pull out shelves and also I will be making all new doors (18) and drawers (5) for the cabinets.  

So now you know what is on my bench.

Follow Up Posts:

1)  Awesome! Looking forward to seeing these projects this year! For the most part, I think I'm done with shop furniture. I am considering a disc sander so, that might need a cart we'll see.

The pull out trays are super handy! I did that in our last house and I know it's just a matter of time before my wife asks for them here as well. I don't envy your door and drawer builds! Just because there's so many.

2)  I’ve got a full plate for me anyway. 2-side table,1- hall table, laundry room cabinets and shelves, bench with storage under it for the garage,table saw storage,Roubo bench,and shop stuff. An that’s just what I can think of right now. So there isn’t order to that list at all the laundry room is next for sure. The rest is up for graps

3)  Yea I am not overly excited but It shouldn't be to bad, I do have the existing doors for templates so that should help. Plus each set up will before multiple doors except two. At this point we are looking at a simple shaker design. The drawers are all the same size and there are at this point only five... but things can change.

4)  Shaker design certainly helps!  Not a lot of fancy joinery in those!

5)  That shelf unit is pretty cool looking. In a hand full of days? After seeing Kev’s project time card, I’m going to start doing the same thing, just for the heck of it. My brother, also a woodworker, often asks me how long a project took and I have absolutely no idea and actually, maybe it will scare me to know?

6)  I think if you track it accurately, you'll be surprised how little time you actually spend on a project.  Just heading to the shop shouldn't start the clock.  Start the clock when you actually start doing a task.

7)  Just make sure you stop the clock when you curse yourself for a dumb mistake and scratching your butt!

8  Scratching my butt time off, should cut the time down considerably!  :)

9)  For clamp racks, I made a copy of Timothy Wilmot's, and I have been loving it.  I have my Jet Parallel Clamps on them as well as some DeWalt quick clamps and Bessey F-clamps.  The storage above lets me put my clamp accessories. Just an idea I wanted to share as I have enjoyed mine and really like the space savings of the upside down clamps pairing with the parallel clamps.  I do have a few more clamps and accessories now, but it is still doing awesome (2nd Photo)

Gustav Stickley.jpg

clamp.JPG