Title of the document

DIY Leveling Setup Question

Transferred from previous forum - Original Post by Puka

Original Post:

Other than the a fore mentioned setups from commercial shops can / could some one(s) maybe give me some ideas or perhaps some links to DIY setups for building your own.

Primarily I'd like to level small wood pieces using a router. I made a setup once before when I leveled the top of my work bench. But i would now like to make a setup I can put together and pull down reasonably quickly so I can flatten small boards made up of a number of laminated wood chunks, that are too big to go through my drum sander or thicknesser, or are just too out of wack between the various bits that Even using a sled is not an option (I hate using a sled).

I'd rather fix the piece down and flatten one side with the router then when I finally have a flat side start running it through the thicknesser, or if its two big then flatten the other side the same way as the first.

Some help would be greatly appreciated.

Follow Up Posts:

1)  Sorry bud..  On the road for work again..

I do know that Woodpeckers makes one but, it's pretty outrageously expensive.

The trick is to get the 2 rails parallel.  From there, just a little sled to slide on it and you're in business.

2)  I was more interested [to be honest] in the leveling setup underneath. Trying to get the work piece level. or building a rig that could be used to get the work piece level.

Pretty sure i can do the top part easily enough. Have done that bit before but the first time it was to level the work bench top so everything was fixed to the work bench.

3)  Because the wood can be so warped and twisted in so many different ways, I don't know of any way other than shimming in appropriate places to steady it where you want it and then get one side flat.  From there, the other side is easy.

4)  I’ve only done it once and that is how I did it with shims and use winding stick to check it with