Title of the document

Router Table

Chet

Submitted on the old forum by tmize

So on a whim today I started rearranging my shop today. I’m wanting to move my router table. It’s just a boush bench top model I built in to the end of counter that runs along the outside wall. So I got to thinking where does it fit in placement among other people’s shop. It’s not used much cope stick doors and edge treatments occasionally. Most I’ve seen have them on some kind of cart that rolls. Personally I’m the type that every tool stays in its spot. So where would you group it. 

Follow up posts

1) I would suspect most will say, wherever best fits your workflow. For me, I added an extension to my table saw because it was convenient.

2) Mine's a stand alone set up that doesn't move.

Like you, I don't use mine all that often. I did want a significant indeed/outfeed for it but, I'm lucky in that I had the room for that.  

I guess this is just one of those tools that fits in the "others" area of your shop. It's not really part of your work flow. Kind of like a belt/disc sander. Something you use more often than you realize but, not a tool that you really count on to get the job done.

3) I had thought about put in router wing. The other thing is I’m about to pull the trigger on a bandsaw. So I started moving stuff around because I’ve never been happy with my table saw placement and now I think it’s found it’s happy home. An where the router table is now is far enough away that it may not interfere on big pieces.

4) Finding that shop configuration that genuinely works for you is sometimes the hardest part!  The router table was something I was willing to walk a little further to get to when I needed it..

5) Extension wing of my table saw.

6) I currently dont have a router table in my shop. Did have one in my old table saw extension wing. I think on placement of tools is a priority of work flow and how often the tool gets used to have the easiest access. In my shop about half of the tools have to get moved to be used, granted the move is just a slide to the side to get the work piece to travel through.

7) So far I’ve left it in its original place I did take the out feed table I built on to off for so clearance issue now. So I’m going to leave it alone til I finish the project I’m on now and see it bothers me any

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus