Title of the document

Osmo vs Rubio

Kev

As most of you guys know, I used Rubio for the first time on the router bit cabinet.  I was pretty impressed with the finish and will definitely use it again!

I also picked up a can of Osmo to test that on a project as well.  Has anyone used both and have a preference for one over the other?

I have the Demi-Lune table coming up and was leaning towards the Rubio on it but, wanted to hear the Osmo thoughts before deciding.  

For the record, the Maloof rocker was finished with Tried and True.  Since this table is going to sit next to that chair, I wanted a finish more along those lines which is why I'm leaning towards the Rubio.

4 minutes ago, Bushwacked said:

I have been thinking of trying out Rubio as well ... been watching a lot of blacktail studio builds lately and that finish always makes the wood look great! Also seems pretty easy to apply too.

interested in hearing both sides...

I'll admit that the one project I did really has me liking Rubio!  Just need some test results to compare to Osmo..

Also, at some point in the future, I'd like to try some high performance over the top just as a test.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I am working on a sculpted chair and thought I would try rubio.  So I ordered some the other day.  I didn't pay attention when I ordered and just assumed it was a quart.  It showed up today and was a pint....for $54.00.   This chair is a prototype, and I am not sure I like it.  I am going to save the rubio for something else!

11 minutes ago, Bob said:

I am working on a sculpted chair and thought I would try rubio.  So I ordered some the other day.  I didn't pay attention when I ordered and just assumed it was a quart.  It showed up today and was a pint....for $54.00.   This chair is a prototype, and I am not sure I like it.  I am going to save the rubio for something else!

Probably enough in a pint to do several chairs!  You can mix (3:1) tea spoons and still have some left over..  I was amazed at how far it really went!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Unfortunately, my next project is to keep wifey happy. She wants a mobile island for her kitchen for special occasions. The base to be painted white to match the cabinets and the top to be butchertop. I offered cherry for the base to match our table and chairs and it was thumbs down. So it may be small decorative boxes for the Osmo. 

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

I realize this is a little late in the game but perhaps there is experience? I will be making a piece from maple and would like to keep it as light/non-yellowing as possible. Will the Osmo give me the results that I’m looking for? What is the sheen? 

18 hours ago, Coop said:

I realize this is a little late in the game but perhaps there is experience? I will be making a piece from maple and would like to keep it as light/non-yellowing as possible. Will the Osmo give me the results that I’m looking for? What is the sheen? 

Osmo is also an oil/wax blend so will leave those yellowing properties on the maple.  I've found to keep maple as white as possible, it's best to just use the WB finish.

For the record, I used the Osmo on the book shelves.  It did a nice job but, I think I got a little better color pop from the Rubio.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 5/13/2022 at 10:19 PM, Coop said:

may be kinda late here as well ... sorry Coop, but I used Minwax ultraflat on that white oak countertop I built ... could hardly tell there was even a finish on it

image.png.7a2e430c7ec8bbbba156068b218861fe.png

• Like 1